This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

WC with R/O water; 100% R/O with additives or mix with tap water?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Gilles, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    7:48 PM
    Allright, right now i am refilling my tank with about 50% R/O water and 50% tap water.
    I was thinking about changing this to 100% R/O water with additives to get a certain hardness and to be sure that all minerals are in the water.
    What do you guys suggest and/or do?

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Depends on what comes from the tap and what plants you use. I just use tapwater, but it has good values here. KH5 and GH7. I also don't have demanding plants like Erios etc.

Sometimes a tap/RO mix is easiest because you don't have to add afterwards. Saves work.

3. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yeah that is what i have now, but i don't see any pearling even with 40ppm co2. (Although that does not mean that my plant growth is not good). I will measure and post my values tonight.

4. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Pearling is more about light than about good growth. How high is the PAR? When did you plant? Is the water clear? How sure are you that you have 40 ppm CO2? It could take up to a week until normal pearling occurs after pruning.

#4 dutchy, Dec 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  5. tjbuege

tjbuege Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gilles,

I can only speak from my own experience (which isn't saying a lot considering the company we keep here!). I used to use 100% DI water, adding things back in. This was met with much frustration, as I struggled witih all sorts of algae and balance issues, and spent hours a week filtering water and messing with tests and additives. I'm not saying DI caused those issue, but I suspect I just wasn't up to the task and didn't know what I was doing, nor did I take the time to really figure it out. Best thing I did was switch to pure tap water. Of course, I'm fortunate that my tap water params are good. No more messing around with adding/subtracting to get the perfect water. Most of my algae issues have vanished. I still fight with a bit of BBA and GSA in one of my tanks, but that's due to high light that I haven't replaced yet. My other tank has been spotless.

Just my 2 cents worth.

6. Gilles

Gilles Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, i'll post updates in my own thread on the progress..

7. jerrybforl

jerrybforl Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I agree with Dutchy. I used to do 50/50 but it's also hard to control your parameters. If you go 100% RO, you can add what you want and know the there abouts of the parameters. You will be a lot closer doing that than mixing. BBA and GSA is from poor flow. BBA is also related with both CO2(lacking) and poor water movement. Remember its all a balancing act! :gw