This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Watt-hours/gal vs watts/gal

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by cloozoe, Mar 10, 2015.

1. cloozoe

cloozoe Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:55 AM
    Hi All,

Have a heavily planted, Excel and EI fed tank. I've researched lighting for such a set-up and everything I've read suggests somewhere around 2 wpg or a bit less, but I've been unable to find any advice on how many hours/day light should be on. Seems to me watt-hours/gal/day is the issue, not merely watts/gal; for example, if I ran 4 watts/gal for only an hour a day, net effect would presumably be an under-lit tank.

Currently I'm running 48 watts of T5 HO lighting with reflectors on a 26 gal, tall (21"), bow-front tank, for a total of 9 hours/day (4.5 hrs on, 3 hrs off, 4.5 on). Plants are doing fine and no algae other than reasonably minimal green-spot growth, or at least nothing that my Otos and Crossocheilus don't eat before it becomes visible.

Can I push the hours of light up a bit, (shorter plants are pretty slow growing, presumably due to depth of tank) or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks!

2. Overfloater

Overfloater Member

Local Time:
    Sure. You can leave them on a bit longer. Generally I do 8-9 hours. If algae starts to appear you can cut back a bit. This hobby is all about experimentation. :)

3. chris.rivera3

chris.rivera3 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Ditto what overfloater said....experiment with light distance from substrate and also duration that lights are on.

4. chris.rivera3

chris.rivera3 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I like to start with a large distance and shorter duration then drop the light closer to the tank and increase the period my lights are on....maybe every week or two I begin to drop my light fixture closer and closer to the tank's surface