This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Water Testing

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Lori B, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Lori B

Lori B New Member

Local Time:
    3:12 AM
    i know it's important to monitor our water parameters, but there are so many tests it's mind blowing. I've been told to get a master test kit and I'll be fine. Other people say that the master kits don't test for enough compounds to give us a good idea of what our water condition is. What individual tests are to our best advantage to use to have our plants in the best condition?

2. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:12 AM
    API master test kit has NH3, NO2, & NO3. The pH test kits I've never used, purchased a pH pen I can calibrate.
    Additional API that I use are GH, KH, PO4, and Ca.
    A TDS pen that came paired with the pH pen I mentioned above, about $20 US from the "Bay".
    Purchased a Hanna checker for Fe, reads up to 5ppm Fe, Fe being the indicator for micro solutions. $50 US

I don't test water very often, over time we learn how to dose our tanks.
    I make it a point that once per month I test everything on one of my tanks.