This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Water Testing Equipment

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by fmueller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. fmueller

fmueller New Member

Local Time:
    3:19 PM
    Hi Y'all,

I have been keeping fish since the mid 1970s. Low tech (non-CO2) planted tanks have always been my thing. This worked really well for me when living in Ohio. Now I live in New Zealand and have a 300x60x60 (10'x2'x2') mbuna tank that has been set up for 2 years and the plants are not growing, plus I am getting tired of cichids.

I have decided to make a radical change, start with CO2, and try my hand at breeding tetras.

I have done a bit of reading, and have lots of questions. The first one is, what testing equipment do I need?

For my cichlid tanks that has never been as issue once the tank had been cycled, ie ammonia and nitrite zero, nitrate barely detectable. I have automatic drip water change systems on my tanks, which keeps nitrate low. I am thinking in my current setup it might be too low, because the fish are small.

Anyway, I bought a cheap pH meter and have an API starter test kit. What else do I need? KH, GH, anything else? Are the API tests the way to go or is there an easier/better method?

Many thanks!

Picture of one of my old low tech planted tanks just to show off! :)

[​IMG]

2. Deanna

Deanna Member

Local Time:
    10:19 PM
    Some of these can be considered over-the-top and some are not critical, but they are a complete list of my personal favorites:

NO3: Salifert (freshwater or saltwater versions - good precision in the 5-20 ppm range and easy to use) and Sera (good for clear separation between 10 and 25 ppm)
    PO4: Hanna low-range colorimeter (highest precision) or Salifert. Note: for both, above 3ppm, dilute 5:1 with RO or distilled water, then multiply result by 5. API kit is good above 3ppm
    K: Salifert (good precision up to, at least, 50ppm), JBL is acceptable
    GH/KH: API or Sera (modified: use 5x the water, then divide results by 5)
    KH: Hanna colorimeter (used mainly at very low KH levels, such as <1 dKH and where higher precision for CO2 determination is desired) or API (modified: use 5x the water, then divide results by 5)
    Ca: API (modified: 50 ml sample water, add 20 drops of reagent #1, each drop of reagent #2 = 2ppm)
    Mg: easily derived from the formula: (GH ppm – 2.5 x Ca ppm) / 4.1
    Iron: Nutrafin (may be labeled under the Fluval name)
    Total ammonia: Salifert
    pH: use a pen, such as; Dr.Meter (0.01 resolution), Apera PH20 or Hanna
    TDS: use a pen

You can easily use the least expensive options and/or not perform the indicated modifications and still have reliable results. Depending upon how deep you want to get, it is always a good idea to calibrate all of your test kits.

At a minimum, I would recommend testing for NO3, PO4, GH, KH and pH. Never use test strips.

#2 Deanna, Sep 5, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
    torii and fmueller like this.
  3. fmueller

fmueller New Member

Local Time:
    3:19 PM
    Many thanks for your detailed response. Much appreciated!

Tags: