This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Water surface agitation in planted tank.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by ak24, Jan 3, 2015.

1. ak24

ak24 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:35 AM
    Hello.

My name is Andrew, I'm from Poalnd, after long way to activate my account here I'm. Hope to get experience here and say some smart for less experienced than me.

I want to ask about surface agitation. I have high lighted "test" tank and try to work on good plant grow. My target are hard to care plants. Since 2 months (new setup) I do not have surface agitation to achieve high level of CO2 in the water. I get +- 50mg/l. Since few weeks, probably since I get No3 0 some day, I problably get cyanobacteria and start wonder about this issue, I know this bacteria dont like much oxygen and dont know is this cyano... and thought maybe lack of water surface agitation lower the oxygen level in my tank I done the oxygen test on the end of the day and get result 13mg/l, so this is much"?", plants give much oxygen bubbles in whole day. Tommorow morning I will do the test, before plants will start produce new bubbles.

My first question is: do the water surface agitation is needed if the planted aquarium without or with small number of fish produce much oxygen ?

Second question, anyone of You guys have no water surface agitation and have no this ugly water surface "foam"? Or, no one have and the water surface agitation is needed to break this "foam".

Attached photos of foam and probably cyanobacteria.
    Hope my english is enough to discus on this forum.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

2.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

2. ltb420

ltb420 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    ak24,

the surface film blocks a lot of the oxygen exchange. A good reasonably priced fix would be to run one of the eheim skim 350 units.

View attachment 15096

skim350.jpg

3. ltb420

ltb420 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    sorry to answer your original question getting rid of the film is not only beneficial for the fish and plants at night it also blocks a lot of the light. a slow ripple across the tank dose not impact CO2 drastically but with that you only push the film layer off to the other side of the tank. The Skim 350 is nice because it recirculates the surface water back down into the water column eliminating the film.

4. ak24

ak24 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I solved the problem, but thank You for answer!

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Add some Amano shrimp or a lot of the red cherry shrimp, they will pick and clean the plants nicely.

6. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    4:35 PM
    Check out any healthy planted tank and check out their surfaces, they're always all crisp and clean and clear. You need the o2 for plants to respire. When I first, second, third, so on failed, my surface would look like yours. I was always told co2 levels, but they were always high because I'd blast it and always wondered wtf? I need more? In reality I didn't have enough o2 going into the tank.

How'd you solve the problem? With the eheim?

7. Jason King

Jason King barrreport.com
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    The ehiem surface skimmers do the job very well, ive had one for a while now. But when i first installed it i lost a few fish (chocolate gouramis) that got sucked into the float, this happened a few times until i added some fine mesh to the inside of the float since then its been fine.

8. rjordan393

rjordan393 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    The Ehiem surface skimmers that just recirculates the film in the tank is a joke. Purchase a skimmer that sends the film and other debris to your filter.

9. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Do you have an observation to go along with you comment about the eheim skim 350 because mine works like a charm?

10. ltb420

ltb420 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I used to run one on a 120p and it would keep the surface crystal clear. It did however require frequent cleaning but that's a small price to pay for clear water.

11. ak24

ak24 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I installed glass inlet with skimmer for my external filter. Works well, clean my surface within 15 minutes and is no additional item in the tank, simply replace the plastic inlet to new inlet with skimmer.

12. rjordan393

rjordan393 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    No observation needed. By re-circulating the film, it takes longer for the film to reach the filter. There are skimmers designed to be installed to the filters suction.

13. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That's the first I've heard that.

Thanks for filling me in...