This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Water quality

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by Eduardo, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member

Local Time:
    1:20 AM
    hi everyone! And thanks for having a page like this.. everything is so clear and well explained! Congrats!!
    I have a question.. where I live the pH of the tap water is 8.2, the hardness is 13, carbonates < 3mg/l and bicarbonates 129mg/l. Is this going to be a problem in a low tech non CO2 tank?! Should I mix it with osmosis water and at what proportion? Should I also lower the pH value with pH minus from JBL? Just want to have the best conditions for plants because I want to start an low tech non CO2 tank. Thanks!!

2. bshenanagins

bshenanagins Junior Poster

Local Time:
    7:20 PM
    It's not impossible, however when you start messing with the water you need to be consistent because when the parameters start to change your tank will nose dive and you won't undertand why. Equilibrium is your friend, whether your water is super soft or hard, plants will adapt. But some plants can't adapt, I'll depends

3. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member

Local Time:
    Ok thanks man.. I guess I will try with osmosis water and see where that takes me.. I'm the pH issue is something that worries me a lot though..

4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    12:20 AM
    Water companies add "stuff" to their water to keep the pH above 7 at all times in the water pipes, to avoid erosion of copper or lead from the pipes. The "stuff" they add varies among the different companies, but, in general, the tap water pH will not be stable once the water is in the aquarium. It generally drops to a more normal pH. I suggest filling an open top container with tap water and letting it sit in the open for a couple of days, then measuring the pH again. That should give you a more realistic reading of what it will be in the aquarium.

It is always better to adapt to whatever your tap water parameters are and not trying to adjust those parameters to meet some numbers you happen to prefer. Once you start adjusting the parameters you have to match that adjustment each time you do a water change, or you are subjecting the fish to sudden large changes in parameters which isn't good for them.

Dale Hazey and DutchMuch like this.
  5. Eduardo

Eduardo New Member

Local Time:
    Ok thanks!! I will do exactly that!