This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Water polishing

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by AmirM, Oct 13, 2007.

1. AmirM

AmirM Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    8:53 PM
    Hello,
    I'd appreaciate your advice on water polishing methods/equipment.
    I'm considering ordering a vortex diatom filter or a magnum filter from US....
    Do you find the 50-100 micron filter pads/socks useful? (Micron Filter Pads)
    Thanks for your help
    Amir
    ________
    HottCherry

#1 AmirM, Oct 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2011
  2. Crazymidwesterner

Crazymidwesterner Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I believe diatom filters pull out the nutrients we add. If it's just a temporary thing for pictures I guess that is no big deal. I used a real fine floss material in my canister and change it every other week. You can buy a big bag for like 10 bucks and it will last forever. It may not be as polished as your looking for though. I guess the question is what is your desired result. Short term crystal clear clarity or simply a better looking tank with sustainable results..

3. AmirM

AmirM Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Crazymidwesterner,
    I believe I read somewhere in the forum that our fertilizers (NO3, PO4) are ions and therefore are dissolved in the water, and not suspended as particles that might be filtered by the diatom/micronic filter. I hope I got the process correct.

I'm considering adding this extra-fine filtration just for cases of hazy water (I'm facing now :() and post major cleanups in the tank, not for routine use.

Thank you
    Amir
    ________
    Jailbroken

#3 AmirM, Oct 14, 2007
  4. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Diatomaceous earth filters are very good for what you described. Because they remove so much very fine stuff from the water they won't have the life needed for continuous use, but something like a H.O.T. Magnum 250, charged with DE powder should work very well as a clean up filter. It also works to remove green water algae if that misfortune hits you.

5. AmirM

AmirM Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Vaughn
    I'll try to order the Magnum filter for these once in a while clean ups.
    Thanks
    Amir
    ________
    BRUNETTE FUCKING

#5 AmirM, Oct 16, 2007