Water parameters on the plant. Ammonia, carbonate hardness, heavy metals

SADEGH.ZOGHI

Jul 29, 2021
iran
Hello friends
I am an aquatic plant grower (out of water)
I use DIY substrates in the aquarium.
Peat moss / mineral pumice and silica sand and slow release fertilizers
The growth was excellent in the first week. But after 50% change in water, the plants are severely damaged.
Scratching of leaves / Tearing of lower leaves / Also velvety of green algae /
Plant photosynthesis is well done. But growth seems to have slowed or stopped.
Do you think these are parameters and water chemistry or nutrient deficiencies?

There is little information about the parameters and their effect on plants with photos and descriptions. Please help me.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
Welcome to the forum.

I am an aquatic plant grower (out of water)
What do you mean ? Are the plants growing emersed ? or are they in water ?

Plants will often have a delayed response to deficiencies. Especially plants coming from good nurseries will have a good nutrient reserve. That might explain the fine growth you have seen and the decline following. It is also likely to be a case of ammonia toxicity from the slow release fertilizer... the nutrients don't really stay in the substrate. See more here https://www.intuitiveaqua.net/nutrient_grain_release.html

Test for ammonia or reduce it simply by performing water changes, every other day for the first few weeks.

To help you more it would be nice to know what plants are we talking about ? what you dose ? maybe a photograph of the setup and plants .

I would encourage you to read the stickies and articles present on the forum. Here is a starter:

SADEGH.ZOGHI

Jul 29, 2021
iran
IMG_20210704_202206.jpg
IMG_20210704_203633.jpg
IMG_20210705_132255.jpg
IMG_20210715_205040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SADEGH.ZOGHI

Jul 29, 2021
iran
Welcome to the forum.

What do you mean ? Are the plants growing emersed ? or are they in water ?

Plants will often have a delayed response to deficiencies. Especially plants coming from good nurseries will have a good nutrient reserve. That might explain the fine growth you have seen and the decline following. It is also likely to be a case of ammonia toxicity from the slow release fertilizer... the nutrients don't really stay in the substrate. See more here https://www.intuitiveaqua.net/nutrient_grain_release.html

Test for ammonia or reduce it simply by performing water changes, every other day for the first few weeks.

To help you more it would be nice to know what plants are we talking about ? what you dose ? maybe a photograph of the setup and plants .

I would encourage you to read the stickies and articles present on the forum. Here is a starter:

Hi, I started with almost weak plants
Bakupa Carolina
Star grass
Glandulosa
Hygrophilia
Arctus

In the first week the plants grew well. After changing the water, about 50% of the plants have fallen / I also changed the water in the second week.
Only in the first two or three days. Filter and carbon dioxide were not available / the aquarium became infected with blue-green algae.
The bed is composed of peat moss, mineral pumice and sand.
I do not know the problem of ammonia shock or high carbonate hardness. Or too acidic.
Scratches and tears can be seen on the leaves of plants.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
besides what i guess is Syngonanthus setaceum, none are particularly sensitive about carbonate hardness or acidity. Straight lines in all directions on the leaves can also happen when the plants were roughly handled. What is the dosing and light schedule for the tank now that it is in week 3?

SADEGH.ZOGHI

Jul 29, 2021
iran
besides what i guess is Syngonanthus setaceum, none are particularly sensitive about carbonate hardness or acidity. Straight lines in all directions on the leaves can also happen when the plants were roughly handled. What is the dosing and light schedule for the tank now that it is in week 3?
I used LED which is for home lighting.
Two 75W
I use a dilute solution of potassium nitrate.
I used a 23-3-23 agricultural fertilizer diluted.
After double siphoning and collecting the waste and debris of dead plants from the bottom of the tank, the plants have started to grow better.

SADEGH.ZOGHI

Jul 29, 2021
iran
IMG_20210802_144524.jpg
IMG_20210802_144452.jpg

فکر میکنی مشکل چیه؟
2 هفته پس از شروع
کمبود مواد مغذی؟
میزان بالای آمونیاک؟
سختی آب بالا؟
اسیدیته بیش از حد خاک و آب؟
مشکل چیه؟
IMG_20210802_144446.jpg

What do you think is the problem?
2 weeks after start
Nutrient deficiency?
High levels of ammonia?
High water hardness?
Excessive acidity of soil and water?
What is the problem?

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
I use a dilute solution of potassium nitrate.
I used a 23-3-23 agricultural fertilizer diluted.
Most land plant fertilizer has ammonia or urea as the main source of nitrogen, if you have issues with ammonia that is your likely source. If you already have potassium nitrate, get monopotassium phosphate and you can start making and dosing at the EI levels recommended in the article or in the calculator https://rotalabutterfly.com/
You would then still need a micronutrient fertilizer but those are readily available and good enough.

I see plants are growing and plants are adapting to the new environment with some damage on the old leaves and some green fuzz. The green fuzz is prob related to low plant mass and ammonia availability. I would suggest lowering the light levels if you want to limit the algae growth somewhat until you figure out a dosing scheme.
High levels of ammonia?
High water hardness?
Excessive acidity of soil and water?
What is the problem?
the simple answer is to test for these parameters.

Reactions: SADEGH.ZOGHI

SADEGH.ZOGHI

Jul 29, 2021
iran
Unfortunately, I do not have the appropriate kits available to test these items. Otherwise, I would experiment before asking a question. I said maybe someone has had these problems before.

Allwissend

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2016
www.intuitiveaqua.net
understandable, unfortunately the symptoms are not that specific to say. Frequent water changes will help with the ammonia, but not if you add agricultural fertilizer to the aquarium. See if your local water company has a report or is able to provide some information regarding water parameters such as KH, GH, alkalinity, pH etc. This will tell you what the tap water is like , at least you will have a starting point. Other than focus on providing nutrient, CO2 and light to the plants as described in the links above.