Water in Co2 line

yelnats65

Junior Poster
Jun 30, 2006
I'm having a problem with water backing up into the Co2 supply line at night when the solenoid shuts off. It takes approximately 1 hour in the morning for all of the water to clear out of the line.

The set up constists of a Co2 bell placed under the canister inlet. The Co2 tank is placed in the tank stand along with the Ehiem canister filter. I have tried using a check valve with no success.

Any suggestions on resolving this matter?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Re: Water in Co2 line

Check valve.

Add loops, raise the CO2 line above the water surface etc.

Rex Grigg sells some nice brass check valves for about 10$.
Search his name and you should fine his site.

Regards,
Tom Barr

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA

Unless you are using a brass check valve your check valve has probably failed. I have had a couple of them fail, and water backing up in the CO2 line is how I found out about it. Now I use Rex's valve and have had no problems for about 3 months. (This sounds like a testimonial for some patent medicine!)

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA

A simple DIY bubble counter may work. I like the little tonic water/gingerale bottles for this. If water backs up the line it will just go into the bottle.

Superglue

Junior Poster
Aug 14, 2008
Regular fish stores sell those plastic check valves that I have been using for years. Haven't had a problem yet.

ccLansman

Guru Class Expert
Jan 22, 2008
Vista, Ca
i use a bubble counter like most of the rest of you's... the bubble counter has a one way valve. Problem solved... if not... the water cannot possibly push all the way back to the solenoid, even if it did no harm, its just a metal needle in a hole.