This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Water in Co2 line

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by yelnats65, Jul 11, 2006.

1. yelnats65

yelnats65 Junior Poster

I'm having a problem with water backing up into the Co2 supply line at night when the solenoid shuts off. It takes approximately 1 hour in the morning for all of the water to clear out of the line.

The set up constists of a Co2 bell placed under the canister inlet. The Co2 tank is placed in the tank stand along with the Ehiem canister filter. I have tried using a check valve with no success.

Any suggestions on resolving this matter?

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Water in Co2 line

Check valve.

Add loops, raise the CO2 line above the water surface etc.

Rex Grigg sells some nice brass check valves for about 10$.
    Search his name and you should fine his site.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Unless you are using a brass check valve your check valve has probably failed. I have had a couple of them fail, and water backing up in the CO2 line is how I found out about it. Now I use Rex's valve and have had no problems for about 3 months. (This sounds like a testimonial for some patent medicine!)

4. Wet

Wet Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

A simple DIY bubble counter may work. I like the little tonic water/gingerale bottles for this. If water backs up the line it will just go into the bottle.

5. wkndracer

wkndracer Junior Poster

check valve

The Best Aquarium Regulator & CO2 Parts
    13.75 shipped anywhere in the U.S.A. current 3/11/09
    Available elsewhere I'm sure but this is it and it works without degrading due to the gas.

6. Superglue

Superglue Junior Poster

Regular fish stores sell those plastic check valves that I have been using for years. Haven't had a problem yet.

7. ccLansman

ccLansman Guru Class Expert

i use a bubble counter like most of the rest of you's... the bubble counter has a one way valve. Problem solved... if not... the water cannot possibly push all the way back to the solenoid, even if it did no harm, its just a metal needle in a hole.