Water cress falls

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This is a little side waterfall that tends to be rather stable year round near the base of the sierra Buttes which jut out about 7000ft above the valley below. This is also the site of the infamous Downieville downhill Mountain bike single track. 5500ft of descending glory through clear waterfall filled rivers through to 20 miles. Sorry, no helmet cam. Also, Whitewater kayaking in the north Yuba river is awesome. And then there's hiking/climbing the buttes and pretty alpine lakes and relatively few people.

The plants are moss and water cress and they grow so lush in the canyon here going up to the Packer lake saddle.

resizesieerabutte1.jpg

Here's the buttes, a craggy volcanic outcropping, lupine and indian paintbrush in the foreground.

Yes, I climbed to the top peak there: looking south to Lake Tahoe:
resizedsierrabuttetop1.jpg

watercressfallsresized1.jpg

sideviewwatercressfalls.jpg

Such a nice little waterfall, I'll model my own swimming hole/pool/wetland/pond/stream after this. I wish I had this in my backyard.
Some day soon. :smile:

Regards,
Tom Barr

Attachments

• resizesieerabutte1.jpg
    resizesieerabutte1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 153
  • resizedsierrabuttetop1.jpg
    resizedsierrabuttetop1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 156
  • watercressfallsresized1.jpg
    watercressfallsresized1.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 187

j_m_lizard

Junior Poster
Oct 14, 2007
My family and I have taken many a picture by that waterfall over the years. Just down from Bassits Station, right?

-Jared

vrchards

Junior Poster
Apr 10, 2010
As I liove in california and love waterfalls so most of the holidays i visit with my family to Middle and Lower Yosemite Falls, Yosemite N.P.
image143qj4.jpg

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You should go to the waterfalls in Ca right now, they are epic.
We had a lot of rain and snow recently this year.

Regards,
Tom Barr

EMc/

Junior Poster
Apr 25, 2007
Amazing photos! I tried a couple times to get water cress to grow in my paludarium... going to add a wee waterfall soon & see if the increased humidity helps.