This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Water Clarifier what is it

Discussion in 'Aquatic Microbiology' started by crystalview, Sep 29, 2014.

1. crystalview

crystalview Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    8:57 AM
    My tank has had balance problem for awhile now. Filter went out and killed have the plants before it was fixed, blew light so have a new one. Bright living room, raised light too bright, reduced light time, heater went out. Cleaned gravel and had milky water bloom. Killed most of the discus and parameters are great except High phosphate (10). I know I need more plants. Fish bio load is light. Don't mind the algae (green dust). it is mostly half way up the back wall. So I will wait it out. what drives me crazy is the cloudy water. Doesn't look green. I usually don't use products because there has to be a reason for the problems. But I am sick of the cloudy water. So I thought to use a clarifier. But wondered if there was another way to handle the cloudiness. Any thoughts on this?

#1 crystalview, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2014
  2. Wesus

Wesus New Member

Local Time:
    I had cloudy water in my 72G Malawi tank. UV did not help. I used 75% dosage of Carib Sea Bio-Magnet Clarifier every week with 50% water change for two months.
    Since couple months my water is crystal clear with just regular biweekly water change

3. CanTank2012

CanTank2012 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I know this is an old thread, bot for future aquariumists here is what I did.

I had cloudy water in my planted tank, and water clarifier does job temporary. It's crystal clear now.

1. Ensure your filtration is adequate. I had to upgrade my filter for that.

2. Add more matrix or whatever you use for bacteria to live on in your filter.

3. Reduce feeding or remove decaying matter if any.

4.(Probably late now, but in future) Don't add a lot of fish right away to the tank. Do it gradually, and less living creatures you have the easier and quicker it will be to make water clean. This doesn't mean you can't have a lot of fish. See next.

5. Wait it out, and keep changing water. Let your bacteria colonies establish and grow. Add a bit more fish, and repeat. The more waste there is the more bacteria can reproduce and process that waste, but it takes time to grow bacteria colonies after waste amount increases.

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
    Clarifier is a flocculant, it chemically binds charged particles. This is most effective for dirt particles, not bacteria since bacteria multiplies faster than the amount of flocculant you can add. If the reason for the cloudiness is bacteria, you'll have to wait until the filter balances out.

5. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    I had same problem on my 3g tank.

It can be organic waste and/or bacteria bloom. I had seen this when I added prime after water change. I think Prime does too good of a job to remove Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates on new tanks that the bacteria starves and might hurt a new tank where things are not fully established.

Having a stable filter and right water parameters is key on new tanks.

Also I added multiple layers of felt which help capture a lot of dirt/floating water particles. It will clog quickly, so I monitored water levels and keep removing layers of felt as they clog up.

Seachem Stability helps if your bacteria colony is not fully established.

It took about 2 days to clear up, but its a small tank with high filtration rate (20x).

I also always add chemical filteration (Purigen and Activated Carbon) when I start my tank (I generally scrap my 3g regularly since its my quarantine tank).

It generally works for me and my cloudy water clears up in 2-3 days.

6. Adam Edmond

Adam Edmond Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hazy aquarium water in just a few hours with WaterClarifier. Safe for all freshwater aquariums, WaterClarifier is phosphate-free. It will not effect bio-filtration, pH, or any other water parameters, and it is safe for fish and plants.