This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Water Circulation Question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by iter, Mar 24, 2013.

1. iter

iter Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:24 PM
    I am not sure if the amount of flow my filter is enough for my tank. Here are the specs:

Filter- Eheim 2215
    Aquarium- 90cm(L) * 30cm(W) * 36cm(H)

One of my main concerns is that since my tank is pretty long but narrow, would there be good water circulation from just my filter?

My output is on the front left side blowing straight across the tank from left to right. Another question that I would like advice to: Is my CO2 ceramic diffuser in a good position to get maximum diffusion from the flow?

Here is a pic of my tank (the CO2 is not on):
    [​IMG]

This is a side concern, but I was wondering does the downward flow coming from the filter when it hits the right side of the tank will affect the growth of plants? The plants under the CO2 diffuser are crypt wendtii "green". The crypts never really showed stunning growth, you can even say that their growth is even stunted.

-Kevin

2. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I think it will be ok given you have a very open layout. Might be worth lowering your intake strainer further though to pull water downwards, given your return is close to the water surface (which is ok).

When you feed you fish, watch the food particles. Are they making it all the way around the tank? Or is the cycle from filter return to intake only making it so far?

Remember it's push *and* pull - your intake strainer will be pulling water towards it thus contributing to the flow, it's not just the water return you have to consider.

Scott.

3. iter

iter Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you for your thoughts. I will extend my filter inlet deeper into the tank.

I also think it would be a better decision to put my filter output to the back left corner aiming the the output diagonally across the tank and put my inlet on the right back corner (I am speaking from a bird's eye perspective). I saw many people do this since it will have a better distribution of flow. My concern is where should I put the CO2 diffuser so that the water current can hit the CO2 bubbles?

To be honest, I was thinking of buying a wavemaker since if my filter is set up like I described above, the flow rate will also reduce dramatically. I also read in many places that good current is good for the overall health of the aquarium. Eventually I will fill in the background completely with stem plants, so probably the wavemaker will help to maintain a good flow.

What do you think?

-Kevin

4. scottward

Local Time:
    I think the location of your return and intake are perfect where they are, you just have to make sure that water coming out of your return makes a good round trip around the tank before coming back to the intake. I'd put your co2 supply as close to the return as possible so that the co2 mist gets carried around the tank with the current...

5. iter

iter Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hmmm.....I guess I am fine then :), just need to move the co2 diffuser.

But I am still considering a wavemaker on the right side of the aquarium as an extra to water circulation as exercise for the fish, etc. I am considering Hydor Nanos 240/425 and Tunze Turbelle 6015, 240/425 gph and 476 gph respectively. I have no idea how much the flow rate is like in real life as I heard they are "large-water volume low velocity" type pumps, could you help me choose the right one with the right flow rate?

6. scottward

Local Time:
    I use a Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6045 on my tank; it works great and the flow is adjustable (I generally run mine flat out on the highest setting).

My tank is twice as long as yours.

To get the same fetch as me, I suppose you could use a Tunze that is half the spec of mine, or possibly you could use the 6045 turned down to it's lowest setting (but this might be a bit too strong).

From memory, I don't think the smaller Tunze models were adjustable. Getting something that is overpowered is pretty much as bad as getting something that is underpowered, so get something that is throttleable or choose very carefully. Maybe a physical store might have some on display?

Scott.

7. iter

iter Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I guess what I can do is first order a Hydor 240 (the wavemaker with the least gph) from Amazon. If the Hydor 240 is too weak, I can always return it for free and from my experience with the Hydor I would then have a reference to buy the wavemaker with a higher gph that would fit me :).

I know this is off topic but: Is it recommended to turn on your co2 before the lights come on? If so, what is the optimum time to turn it on before the lights come on?

8. scottward

Local Time:
    The general practise around here is to turn CO2 on 1 hour before lights on.