water changes and farlowella's

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
I've been sweating my water changes since I picked up a couple of farlowella;s three weeks ago.. the common web wisdom is that they hate large changes. I've kept to my 50% weekly on the assumption that if they are going to make it in my tank, they'll have to adjust, but I have been nervous every time..

anyone out there have long term success with farlowella's, ei dosing and weekly 50% changes so maybe I can relax?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
My fish have been fine:

Regards,
Tom Barr

sturisoma10806.jpg

dapellegrini

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 17, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Mine are doing great with full EI and 75% PWC every saturday. It is more important to make sure they are getting enough food (they don't carry any reserve). I think most deaths are from starvation. They will take well to wafers. Just make sure that they don't have to compete for them (they are not good at that). I tend to over feed wafers to make sure they get their fill.

I have had one for about 10 months and the other for about 3. One of my favorite fish.

121_07_04_07_1_42_11.JPG

121_07_04_07_3_58_44.JPG

Greg Watson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
United States
Mine also did well - I had six in a 180 gallon tank with automated 50% water changes ...

I think they are beautiful! I think they like being in a current, so I always was careful to create driftwood "platforms" that were in the direct path of a spray bar ... there were always 2-4 of them fighting for positioning on that driftwood surface in front of the spraybar ...

Greg

neil1973

Prolific Poster
Dec 17, 2005
Stirling, UK
I've never had any problems doing large water changes with any fish species including many that supposedly don't like it. Obviously you want to make sure that the water you are adding is of a similar temperature etc.

If you are doing water changes regularly then the water in the tank and the water you are adding will be very similar.

cheers
Neil

sherry

Guru Class Expert
Feb 23, 2006
Those are all very handsome fish. I love the photos! When I get home, I'll post my favorite shot of mine (sharing a ludwiga glandulosa).

I've got a driftwood "cave" they like and thanks to co2 misting, plenty of current so I guess I'm set.

I am glad they've all been doing well in an ei tank. I wasn't going ot stop (just got my pearling back after my co2 disaster) but I will be able to worry less.

ps. as for temp, I am a little paranoid.. i keep a thermometer under the "drip" from my python and monitor constantly...

for conditioning I just dump prime in the tank before I add new water -- btw, is that an okay thing to do? everyone seeems to be surviving it.

btw, for food, I keep a couple of full clips of parboiled kale around at all times.. the otos love the kale, and if I boil it a little longer, the cardinals go wild for it too.

everyone loves squashed peas (including hte amano shrimp) so I do that a couple of times a week.

has anyone tried apple? (I've read about it but have been doubtful.)

R

Russ

I've kept a farlowella in my 75g for over a year, using EI and 60% water changes 1X a week. Mine likes raw zuccinni.

-Russ