VTS 450 Leaking...

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Hi JJ

Do you know the part numbers for the Clippard brass inline check valve plus the barbs needed for it? If not, the check valve is MCV-1BB $4.85 and the hose barbs are 11752-1-PKG for $4.64. These hose barbs are for a package of 10 and it includes the Buna-N O-rings. You can purchase less hose barbs, but you have to order the Buna-N O-rings separately. It is just easier to do it this way.

Some people use these stainless steel CV's. There are several vendors that sell these. You can shop for the cheapest price. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338187531&icep_item=270743827771

Other ones: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338187531&icep_item=260621852705 and http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338187531&icep_item=260701304854

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
What exactly is the Buna-N o ring??? And yes I will be wanting to get a metal CV. Does the Clippard CV need threaded barbs on each end? Is it an overall good CV?

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
jerrybforl;72479 said:
What exactly is the Buna-N o ring??? And yes I will be wanting to get a metal CV. Does the Clippard CV need threaded barbs on each end? Is it an overall good CV?
The Buna-N O-rings form a seal between the barbed fitting and the check valve. You put the O-ring on the threads of the barbed fitting and screw it into the check valve. The check valve uses a screw on barbed fitting at each end. The links that I gave you show pictures of the check valve and the barbed fitting. The check valve uses #10-32 female threads and the barbs are #10-32 male threads. These barbs are 1/8" (0.125") in diameter and they are a little smaller in diameter than 4mm (0.157"). Buna-N or nitrile rubber is a good material that works well with CO2.

These brass check valves are excellent for our CO2 use. They have approximately a 0.5 psig cracking pressure.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Thanks Left C! I think I'm going to invest in these. They aren't very expensive and perfect for what I need. Also tank still holding strong.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I'm glad that your leak was such a simple problem.

Clippard sometimes charges a $10 handling charge. You may be able to contact your local dealer and order directly from them. Then they may not charge you this extra charge. Also, several of the "regulator builders" on the forums carry these check valves. They may have some available.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
You are very welcome, JJ.

I like Victor two stage regulators a lot and if I can help people that have them, I do. I think that they are an excellent product.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
You are very welcome, JJ.

I like Victor two stage regulators a lot and if I can help people that have them, I do. I think that they are an excellent product.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Left C its a very nice reg and I really like it! I connected it today with no problems. Will keep an eye on it to make sure its not losing gas anywhere but I think I'm good. Dang plastic washer!!! LOL :p

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
A 5¢ part sure caused a lot of trouble, didn't it? :)

I'm glad that you like your Victor VTS450. It's a little larger than the VTS250/VTS253 series, but it does a terrific job. It will hold whatever working pressure that you have it set at until the CO2 tank is almost empty and then the pressure will slowly drop to 0 psi.

Jim Miller

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Yup. I used to watch Gordie race super modifieds on the dirt tracks in Michigan. One was within earshot of my childhood home in Jackson. It was always amazing to see him lap the field once or twice in a 15 lap race!

jim

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
That's awesome! I always liked dirt track racing. Around my home town it was Stick Elliott and Ralph Earnhardt beatin' n' bangin' on each other.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I see the track. Dang, the trees are already turning! It was almost 90° here today!!

Here's a little bit about Stick and Ralph.

EDIT: I used to see these guys race at Concord Motor Speedway. Here's a link with some old pictures of some of he guys that raced there and info about the track.

Last edited by a moderator:

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
So today I was sitting on the couch when all of the sudden my VTS 450 started to cry out CO2!!! The relief valve was just squealing. I don't know if the first stage went bad or what. I emailed the people Left C mentioned and Matt had mentioned in a PM. I also emailed Victor. I will see what it cost to rebuild this reg and will call my local shop to see if they have someone who rebuilds.

nipat

Guru Class Expert
May 23, 2009
I've been worried about this so I still haven't bought a used DSR's.
Even the ones labeled "new" there. How can $300 equipments be sold at ~$50-100?
It's too good to be true.

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Well I emailed all the people Matt and Left C mentioned. They all replied. I called my local shop and they can do a full rebuild for $40-$50 bucks. So no so bad.

Here is the email from Victor.com:

From what you describe,the seat in the first stage has deteriorated and is allowing a higher amount of pressure than what was preset into the passage way between the two stages, thus triggering the relief valve to open....The suggested list price is $50.37 and can be ordered through your local Victor distributor. If you need further assistance, please contact us at 800-426-1888, option number 2 for Technical Support, then option number 1 for Victor Equipment.

This is the one from R and T Repair:

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Victor VTS450 regulator. We can totally rebuild, clean and test your regulator for $65.00* each, plus shipping. This price is for a total rebuild of the equipment, not just replacement of defective or worn part(s). All soft parts (seat, o-rings, seals and gaskets), gauge covers, and inlet fittings will be replaced. Every unit is completely tested to meet or exceed manufacturer’s specifications and is warranted for 180 days.

Going to take it to my local shop and see what they can do and if it's no what I think it should be I'll send it out. Overall I think it could be worse.

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
I've been worried about this so I still haven't bought a used DSR's.
Even the ones labeled "new" there. How can $300 equipments be sold at ~$50-100?
It's too good to be true.
The percentage of defective two stage regulators that people have reported purchasing on ebay verses the percentage of zero problem two stage regulators is very low. There are bound to be some bad ones out there. I don't purchase or recommend people purchasing bad looking regulators on ebay or anywhere else unless you are prepared to take the risk. I've purchased over 20 two stage regulators on ebay and I have only received one bad one. It was a new one that went bad after running for about a week somewhat like Jerry's problem. I paid $40 shipped for this new Victor VTS253A-320. Even with the added price of a repair/rebuild, it is still a decent deal. I surely didn't like it, but I took the risk. There are several people on the forums that are selling these ebay regulators built with good to great post body kits and there are some problems like leaks or needle valve problems. Only a few of the problem have actually been defective two stage regulators. The sellers on our forums are held responsible for them and they are fixed at the sellers' expense. Also, there have even been some people that have purchased new two stage regulators on ebay from 99¢ to $10 plus shipping. I am using a $900+ Victor SGT500 that I purchased from a Victor technician in Michigan for $90 shipped that included a chrome CGA-320 nut and nipple plus a 1/4" NPT to 1/8" NPT reducer on the output. These are great deals!

These two stage regulators are made for industry use, lab use, medical use and other uses. They are somewhat like heavy duty equipment for us. They aren't the tiny, dinky single stage regulators that are commonly available for our hobby.

It is a risk, but most of the time it is truly a good deal.