Vortech MP40W

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

I am pricing this unit and see it at 419.99 at Big Al's and this e-bay ad for 369.99...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ecotech-Marine-...emZ110508514099QQcategoryZ46312QQcmdZViewItem

I have done much business with Big Al's and been very happy but not with the e-bay store. The price difference would NOT be worth any potential customer service or warranty issues..

I have heard all good experiences so far with those using them esp for a 180 gal like mine, so it is really just where to get it...

Any general thoughts or experience with the seller is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

ibnozn

Mar 7, 2008
Psst... check Amazon and Google shopping. Found it for $20 less w/ free shipping.

Also, I bet you could find a used one on ReefCentral.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Constantin,

Is kinda where I am headed.......I would rather spend a little more from a known supplier/retailer with whom I have had good experience...

ibnozn,

Will do thanks for the tips...good ideas..

C

csmith

What's the big deal with these vortechs? I'm not knocking anyone for them, I just don't understand why they're so coveted. You can get far cheaper pumps that do around the same movement. Is it because the cord's outside of the tank and it's more suitable for a display?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

1. Variable speeds and mode of flow. Adjustable in other words. Pretty powerful with no heat transfer. Unit can provide differing current options that can prove helpful for fish and plants....

2. It is a new cool toy for the hobby!

3. It is my mid life crisis gift instead of a convertible sports car :)

4. It does have a small in tank footprint so it is nice for display purposes...

I agree less expensive units can produce a similar effect but maybe would require one or more or have a larger visible footprint.......

You know how it is with a product that has a 'buzz'.

C

csmith

Take the convertible! :)

I get it. When you have the money to play, might as well play your way.

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Lol, if I was to buy this I'll never here the end of it. At least buying a canister filter will be easier to explain to my significant one. And she already knows I have 3 Koralias .

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
csmith;49601 said:
Take the convertible! :)

I get it. When you have the money to play, might as well play your way.

Exactly! Think of metal halide when they came out or the first submersible heaters :)

As an FYI it is not a foregone conclusion I would actually purchase one. My aquarium is doing very well right now and I don't think it is NEEDED, but it may help. I did not NEED to upgrade my plumbing the way I did, but am glad it was done and it has returned the investment very well. This may prove the same. At worse I could sell it as slightly used for a small loss.

I have the $ for the Oxyguard c02 meter and just could not justify the purchase in the end.....glad I did not do so. I would LOVE to know the actual c02 ppm but as long as the fish and plants are healthy, I know it is OK at least :)

BTW, I did not get the convertible model, but I did save my pennies and got something nice 2 years ago...

barbarossa,

well for good or bad, it is just me, so ALL decisions are mine and final lol

I meant a good marketing 'buzz'... I hope the unit itself does not buzz and is quiet lol

barbarossa4122

Guru Class Expert
Dec 29, 2009
NYC
Gerryd;49608 said:
barbarossa,

well for good or bad, it is just me, so ALL decisions are mine and final lol

I meant a good marketing 'buzz'... I hope the unit itself does not buzz and is quiet lol

Lucky you. :) My wife is not a "monster" but, like I said..........how can I explain buying a 420.00 Koralia. Yes, in her mind it will not be a Vortech but, a Koralia. Am I making any sense here?