Very high light plants?

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hey all,

I am looking for a moss or some live plant I can use to wrap around my loc-line outlets for a more natural look.....

I have 6 outlets and have PAR readings of 250-300 where these plants would go. So it is definitely a sunblock zone :)

I realize/hope the growth will be ridiculous at these spots and need constant (hourly?) pruning, but am prepared to give it a shot.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

I am not limiting myself to any plant/moss, as long as it can take temps >80F, HIGH light, EI, and a steady (I hope!) supply of c02.

I think having plants grow on the outlets (if possible) will be a positive step in the overall look of the tank. Plus more plants is a good thing esp if they will be growing at the rate I think they will.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Water sprite, pennywort comes to mind and most floaters can handle high light without using CO2 up from the water.

Most solutions are weedy though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

bibbels

Prolific Poster
Aug 16, 2008
Oddly enough I accidently had some HC attach to one of my loc-line outputs and did quite well there. It would probably still be there except I added more outlets and ended up dislodging it all in the process. I then moved to a tank I was doing a dry start on.

My PAR in the area it was at is ~200.

Maybe just a fluke :D I may sometime try to attach some with some thread or something as an experiment.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have HC as well growing emergent on the wood, about 400 micromols depending........

Still, that's low light, the sun is 2000 at noon most semi tropical places.

Regards,
Tom Barr