Venturing into pressurized system

JinxXx0085

Junior Poster
Jun 25, 2006
Howdy everybody,
I've been looking into pressurized system as I'm finding that my DIY co2 is pain in the ass to keep consistent.
I've looked at Dr. Froster & Smith and Reg Riggs site... I'd like to order from online to get a pressurized system. What would you guys recommend?
I even looked at this semi-automatic system,

~Jinx~

JinxXx0085

Junior Poster
Jun 25, 2006
I've never seen that site before, thanks Prof Myers.

Is Milwaukee products good quality and reliable? This is my first time seeing that company name.

Thanks for your help.

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The Milwaukee regulator assembly can be used very well for CO2 injection in an aquarium. But, you have to be aware of its weaknesses. You have to always make sure the regulator is set for zero pressure before turning on the CO2 at the bottle valve. You have to expect leaks at the bubble counter, and either repair them some way or remove the bubble counter. You have to expect the solenoid to have a limited service life. You have to be willing to fiddle with the insensitive needle valve. But, you can do all of that, and then it works fine, and the price tends to be right.

booffa

Junior Poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hi, I found Tunze regulator is very easy user friendly and adjusting the needle valve is not a problem either.

I think it is a german made one you can from online shops.

HTH.

nursie

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
Peoria, IL USA
Hey Jinx...welcome to the site, good to see you here.
I ordered my new one from Rex Grigg. I'm not the teckiest person around, and I had him put it together, add a low pressure regulator to prevent end of tank dumping, and also give me the capability to run 2 tanks off of one cannister. He has some good info on his site, and his a helpful kind of guy.
He has instructions there, and you can order parts from him, if you know what you are doing you can build your own. he does have some instructions...which I was too chicken to follow ;)
Again...I think you have to know a bit more than I to do that.

JinxXx0085

Junior Poster
Jun 25, 2006
I'd prefer to get something that doesn't require for me to fiddle with it on a regular basis. I'd love to have something that I can just set and forget along with few check up when necessary.

I've decided that I'd try give the local CO2 parts around here. Where would these be found? My first thought was welding store, I could look that up... but what else?
I figured that I'd try looking around first before I restort to buying supplies online. (if $ is reasonable though)

Thanks for your help guys.

Thanks nursie for the welcome :D

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I found 10lb tanks filled for 45$ at the local fire supply place here.
Another place will ship 20lb tanks, aluminum for 90$(that's shipped cost!).

I think David Hui mentioned that a few days ago, I can see.

I get regs on line or from Victor, Victor make the best reg's in the business.
Cost more.........then I add a nupro valve and manifold it out to suit whatever distribution needs I might have.

So a tank, a valve, a regulator, some teflon tape, the gasket between the tank/reg, some decent tubing(Tygon is great IME, but silicone is also good), a diffuser/reactor, and you are set.

You will need to watch the rate and add more every so often.
I just watch the plants, if anything is squirrlely then I check the CO2.

A reg: 20$ on ebay
Valve: 15-25$
Tanks, 40-90$

I like the Aquaticmagic.com 's ADA beetle knock off diffusers.
They run 10-25$ and are about 4-5x cheaper and similar quality

Regards,
Tom Barr