This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Venturi, Reactor, Inline. Do i get it?

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by devocole, Mar 28, 2008.

1. devocole

devocole Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:05 AM
    Okay its taken a while but i think i'm understanding the lingo.
    1. Venturi stands for a "decrease in pressure and increased speed" when the diameter of a tube is decreased between to larger parts. With this principle we can use the pressure differential between two systems to inject say gas into a liquid. Hence a venturi injector.

So what is the need for a reactor then if a venturi could be used all on its own (with some routing of the plumbing after the canister filter so that not all the flow is through the venturi as tom suggested in a post dealing with his DIY double venturi article).
    Will a reactor just allow a better mixing i guess?

2. This question has to do with the reactor DIY that Tom as developed. So from what i've read in the posts is sounds like some CO2 build up is almost good to have in the reactor. Now in the construction of the Venturi loop to "reuse this build up of undissolved CO2," that loop can be run directly into a rio that specializes in taking in a gas, or into another system for CO2 diffusing.

I was wondering if I connected that venturi loop directly into the inline of the pump i decide to use for this reactor set up. Will there be a good enough pressure differential between the Reactor and the Inline tubing of the pump for the excess gas to be sucked up? Is it possible for water inline to the pump to be pushed into the reactor instead?

I think if i can get clarification on these issue i'm ready to build. thanks guys
    Devon

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    3:05 AM
    The mazzei venturi draws in far more, the reactor version is just to remove some of the gas.

The suction of a DIY venturi is rather small, the suction on a mazzei is rather intense.
    You also get far better atomization of bubbles with a mazzei, but need more pressure from the pump(more head loss).

It depends on what and where you want to draw gas in/out, in the reactor tube, you want to keep some gas, but not all, but not lose much head pressure.
    In the mazzei, there's no gas build up, so you want as small as possible bubbles.

Regards,
    Tom Barr