This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Venturi Diffuser question

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by quenton, May 11, 2006.

1. quenton

quenton Guru Class Expert

I built the venturi diffuser last night. I am not sure its doing what it should. Should there be a space at the top filled with CO2? If not, then I don't see what the tube from the side to the input of the powerhead is for??

What I have is maybe 1/8" of CO2 at the top of the big tube (which was from a big-al's vaccum thingy).

What happens is bubles come in near the bottom, get swirled around A LOT until the dissappear. Nothing much seems to happen re that extra tube???

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Re: Venturi Diffuser question

Sounds like it's doing the right thing.

The tube on the side is to count the bubbles and to provide input for the CO2.

The hole on the opposite side from the powerhead is the burp hole, this releases excess gas if needed at night/adding too much for the reactor capacity.

The venturi loop, the tube connected to the powerhead, the the gas bubble will build up over the course of a day and then that part will kick in once it reaches further down and collect more gas. Then the gas will be sucked into the loop and produce a fine mist that's explled out the bottom.

Sounds like you are not adding enough CO2 gas to the unit, you should see mist at about 1/2 way through the light cycle.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Re: Venturi Diffuser question

I'm thinking about converting my powerhead/sponge filter/CO2 mist generator to this venturi diffuser design, with a sponge filter on the water inlet. This would be for when I switch tanks from a 29 gallon to a 45 gallon. But, my powerhead output will dig up the substrate now if I direct it towards the bottom, so will the output of this reactor do the same, for the same water flow? Will this diffuser work as well if I add an elbow at the bottom to direct the output more parallel to the substrate?
    The reasons I am looking to do this are:
    I'm getting a bit tired of the tankful of champaign look.
    I'm not at all sure my Maxijet 600 will successfully spread CO2 mist in the new tank.
    I think I can get a more uniform CO2 ppm with a diffuser, with a higher ppm, with less CO2 used.
    I like to tinker!