Wanted: Vallisneria Species For Graduate Research

Capsaicin

Mar 17, 2020
Kansas
I'm looking for uncommon species for my masters degree research. The goal is to obtain all species from the genus Vallisneria, extract DNA, and produce an updated phylogeny. If you have collected plants from the wild, or allowed to collect we can voucher your collected plants and you will be given recognition in the paper as well as Genbank.

Current collection:
Vallisneria americana
Vallisneria natans
Vallisneria erecta
Vallisneria spiralis

Species wanted:
Vallisneria anhuiensis
Vallisneria annua
Vallisneria australis
Vallisneria caulescens
Vallisneria densiserrulata
Vallisneria longipendunculata

Vallisneria nana
Vallisneria rubra

Vallisneria spinulosa
Vallisneria triptera

AquaEnthu

Jan 15, 2019
Harrisburg, PA
You should be able to find Val Nana at Dustin's Fishtank or Aquarium plant Factory.

As for the others, good luck, I saw some people in Australia posting about Vallisneria Triptera, on FaceBook.

Vallisneria Caulescens was produced for a limited time by AquaFlora

If you find either in the USA, let me know.

Capsaicin

Mar 17, 2020
Kansas
You should be able to find Val Nana at Dustin's Fishtank or Aquarium plant Factory.

As for the others, good luck, I saw some people in Australia posting about Vallisneria Triptera, on FaceBook.

Vallisneria Caulescens was produced for a limited time by AquaFlora

If you find either in the USA, let me know.

I'm not 100% convinced that the V. nana we see in the hobby is actually V. nana. Looking at the herbarium specimens, there seems to be some inconsistencies. I'm hoping this research can clear up naming problems. I will definitely make rare plants available to people here in the US.