Vacuming sand substrate

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

It's the first time I use a sand substrate, the Flourite Black Sand. I noticed that it is impossible to vacume it like a gravel and no way to stir the substrate while you vacume it. Is this substrate a source for organics sedimentation and later problems?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Yes

jonny_ftm;43531 said:
Hi,

It's the first time I use a sand substrate, the Flourite Black Sand. I noticed that it is impossible to vacume it like a gravel and no way to stir the substrate while you vacume it. Is this substrate a source for organics sedimentation and later problems?

Hi Jonny,

Yes, sand substrates need cleaning, in my always humble opinion. :eek:

I use a vacuum with a relatively larger opening and a body with a greater volume. This allows the sand to swirl and settle back down.

I tend to work slowly and do smaller percentage of the tank each time. I use a glass stirrer and a bamboo skewer (something with a little 'flex') to stir the sand and work up next to the edges while hovering the vacuum over the area being stirred.:)

Biollante

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I just squeeze the siphon tube to reduce the suction to reduce any sand from being sucked up.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Thank you both, I'll use the squeeze way, sounds practical. Eventually, I'll put sort of a tap on the tube to definately adapt the flow