This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Vacation dosing

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by wolfewill, Apr 22, 2013.

1. wolfewill

wolfewill New Member

Local Time:
    1:28 PM
    Now that I've got a workable dosing regime, I need to consider what to do when I'm on vacation. What is the conventional way of managing not dosing for 3 or 4 weeks. I've got too many tanks to consider dosing pumps, so I'm considering reducing photoperiod from 10 to 3 or 4 hours per day and leaving the plants to fend for themselves for the entire time (I've got someone to feed the livestock).

2. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    hello,

i also ran into that problem when i went on vacation last month. i was away for 4 weeks. try to reduce the temperature to slow down the growth and reduce the photoperiod as well. that would help.

3. BellinghamFish

BellinghamFish Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    What happened to your tank Asmack? Also why can't the person feeding just dose the tank? Make all the ferts into two solutions so it is easy for them

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Hire a kid to come over and take care of the place, set up pill boxes or small cups with pre measured stuff ready for them.
    Someone will have to add water due to evaporation anyway, mail and other stuff.

5. Asmack Arabia

Asmack Arabia Banned

Local Time:
    hi BellinghamFish,

i left my tank almost in automatic. i installed an eshoppe float valve which worked very well to make up for evaporation. i also installed an eheim auto feeder. my lights are on timer so no change. but i asked my flatmate to check it out once in a while coz im afraid of any electrical problems that may arise.

when i came back, the glosso were all covered in thread or hair algae. i managed to save a few and it is now recuperating. i also found a lot of bba. but after 2 weeks of my regular routine, everything came back to normal.