UV sterilizers and palnted tanks

misterfooj

Junior Poster
Aug 14, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Aloha,

I'm a new poster. What's your thoughts on using UV in planted tanks. I have a 90-P (approx 50 gal) and an Eheim Pro Electronic 2076. i read in another blog that UV sterilizers are not good for ferts.

Any rec's on which Sterilizer to get? I'll appreciate any help you can give me.

Mahalo

thefooj

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I have use the Turbo Twist 3x in a close loop inline system. I've only use it to kill GW Algae last year an it was on for 24hr only, They are good if you need to kill something but I would not use it for 24/7 all the time then you will affect your frets.
You could get away by getting a Turbo Twist 3x for 50g. I use mine on a 110g tank. Check Ebay or at :
Aquarium UV Sterilizers and Pond UV Sterilizers
I think the Gammas are far better UV Light.

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
What fertilizers are affected by UV and how are they affected? Can you fert during the day and just run UV at night?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Some claim the chelators in Fe.

I've never seen any issues or differences and I do not know of anyone who has or has been able to show it in a planted tank to date. I use one ona couple mof tanks with out any issues.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Dmaaaaax

Prolific Poster
Jan 9, 2009
Thanks Tom,

I went searching through several old posts, and the most I could find was that it might affect Flourish Excel and chelated iron. They mentioned that the iron could be used by the plant though.