This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

UV sterilizers and palnted tanks

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by misterfooj, Jan 20, 2009.

1. misterfooj

misterfooj Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:58 AM
    Aloha,

I'm a new poster. What's your thoughts on using UV in planted tanks. I have a 90-P (approx 50 gal) and an Eheim Pro Electronic 2076. i read in another blog that UV sterilizers are not good for ferts.

Any rec's on which Sterilizer to get? I'll appreciate any help you can give me.

Mahalo

thefooj

2. inkslinger

inkslinger Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I have use the Turbo Twist 3x in a close loop inline system. I've only use it to kill GW Algae last year an it was on for 24hr only, They are good if you need to kill something but I would not use it for 24/7 all the time then you will affect your frets.
    You could get away by getting a Turbo Twist 3x for 50g. I use mine on a 110g tank. Check Ebay or at :
    Aquarium UV Sterilizers and Pond UV Sterilizers
    I think the Gammas are far better UV Light.

3. Dmaaaaax

Dmaaaaax Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    What fertilizers are affected by UV and how are they affected? Can you fert during the day and just run UV at night?

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Some claim the chelators in Fe.

I've never seen any issues or differences and I do not know of anyone who has or has been able to show it in a planted tank to date. I use one ona couple mof tanks with out any issues.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. Dmaaaaax

Dmaaaaax Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom,

I went searching through several old posts, and the most I could find was that it might affect Flourish Excel and chelated iron. They mentioned that the iron could be used by the plant though.