This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

UV sterilizer: 0n 24/7 or occasionally.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by m lemay, Feb 23, 2005.

1. m lemay

m lemay Prolific Poster

I finally broke down and bought a Turbo-twist 18w for my 75 Gal tank. I'll be getting it in about a week. Should I leave this thing on 24/7 or put it on a timer or just run it for 24 hrs after a water change. I also heard that these things can mess with micro nutrients, not sure if its just conjecture.

I bought it because I have some BGA appearing in small clumps on the dwarf hairgrass and on the buds of E stelatta. I'm also battling Greendust and I'm hoping that between this and the paper towel regimen that all this will soon be a memory. There are no other algaes except a little green spot on glass and slow growers which I'm trying to control with more po4.

So what do you think, 24/7, timed or water change?

Marcel

2. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

3. m lemay

m lemay Prolific Poster

Re: UV sterilizer: 0n 24/7 or occasionally.

Thanks Bill: When I posted this thread I didn't do a search prior. I'm still not sure wether I'm gonna leave it on 24/7 or just after waterchanges since the evidence seems inconclusive. I'm waiting for the UPS truck with my new turbo-twist 18w as I type this. I plan on connecting it tonite.

Marcel

4. Bill

Bill Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

I bought the same unit a couple of weeks ago. I have been running it 24/7 since then but I may change to just a couple days after each water change.

At some point in time I will try it both ways and see if I notice any difference.

Bill

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Guru Class Expert

:) bill, i have been thinking about a uv for a long time. i'm having a green dust algae issue right now. i allways thought that uv was used for diseases, and bacterial algae like green water. also is 9watt uv big enough for 75 gal tank? tom , please jump in here and let us know if uvs will help erraticate some algea's. regards, cornhusker

6. m lemay

m lemay Prolific Poster

It only works on algae that are free floating and that which passes thru the UV. The way I look at it is it should at least contain anything that otherwise would have spread thru the water column. I'm having Green dust issues also. I know that it won't kill whats already growing on the glass. But I figure if I clean the glass and the spores float thru the UV it should help to minimize it.

Marcel