This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

UV light?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Brian20, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    6:05 PM
    Well, i saw fluorecent lamps that produces UV light to help animals, etc.. These fluorecent can help plants too?

Only curious

2. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    12:05 AM
    I don't think
    Also, during maintenance, we can pass some time behind aquarium lights, exposing our skin to UV. Personally, I'll avoid it. Plants do well without them anyway

3. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Put the posters up and turn on the black light! Not groovy, man.

#3 Tug, Mar 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2011
  4. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    6:05 PM
    So, UV not have nothing with plant grow or ecosistem?? Im only curious, because in nature plants receive all this rays from the sun.

5. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    As far as I know all you're getting from UV would be melanoma and long-term retinal issues. Plants form some weird growths (some sort of metaplasia?) from certain frequencies of UV light that algae can't cope with. Still, neither are ideal.

I'm betting this is quackery along the lines of magnet magic copper ultrasonic holy water available for 6 easy installments of $29.99.

Do you have a link?

6. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    If You Are A Lizard, It Is Not Quackery

Hi Brian, All,

I assume (always dangerous) that these are the black lights available at, for instance, Wal-Mart. Black lights are UVA, wavelength from 400 nm to 315 nm, energy of 3.10–3.94 eV per photon.

I seriously doubt they will do you any harm. :)

Or they may be the low level UVA/UVB herpetology or herpetoculture lights, a combination of the black light and UVB, wavelength from 315 nm to 280 nm, energy of 3.94–4.43 eV per photon.

I suppose if you worked at it the UVB could hurt you, we use them for our reptiles and some birds, as far as I know, no one has been harmed by them.

I think plants can gain benefit from UVA to a limited extent, I do not think UVB is any use to plants.

Our UV sterilizers are UVC, wavelength from 280 nm–100 nm, energy of 4.43–12.4 eV per photon. These are getting into the dangerous range.

Biollante

#6 Biollante, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2010
  7. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Definitely do not use a UV sterilizer lamp over your tank. Much like playing with fibre in the datacenters, it's just safer not to look at/in ANYTHING related to UV or infrared. No good will come of it.

For the most part, unless you have something specifically that would benefit from it, such as a reptile, you can safely pass on these lamps. Alternately, break out the sunglasses and have at it. I suspect you won't find much difference except to your wallet but you never know.

-
    S