This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

UV light causing bubbles in water?

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by MacFanMr, Apr 2, 2008.

1. MacFanMr

MacFanMr Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    11:24 AM
    I have a Quiet1One 4000 driving water into an OceanClear mechanical filter with built-in UV, from there it goes through an inline heater and back into the tank. I don't run the UV much, but have been running it recently due to a large algae outbreak that I believe was caused by too many nitrates from overfetilization once I brought phosphates under control with increased water chagnes.

I have the intake setup as an adjustable skimmer which has caused it to suck in air in the past, but I have it almost entirely under water and yet it's still spewing lots of air bubbles from the return. Could this be from the UV light? I don't smell ozone, but have read about oxidation/reduction being related to UV in some way. I noticed it after I changed the filter cartridge and initially attributed it to air trapped in the filter element, but it continues (though it varies). I see no air trapped in the heater module, and have tried venting air from the OceanClear. It may be normal, but I wanted to ask.

I should note I've begun using Flourish Excel as part of the algae solution.

Any thoughts?

Michael