This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Using RO water to do analysis

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Gbark, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Gbark

Gbark Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    3:51 AM
    Hi all,

Some of you are helping me on another thread about Nitrate levels, but i thought i should start a new one for this.

I have just received my new Nitrtate test kit. It measures from 0-15ppm as N

It works by putting 1ml of the test solution into a measuring cylinder, adding 20ml deionized water and then the test agents. Mix and leave to stand, then take 10ml of this solution add a tablet that gives it a colour and then compare.

Well i have been using RO water instead of deionized water.

Today i bought some deionized water from the store and i have done some tests on my water's

I sampled my tank and mixed with my RO water and got a reading of 6ppm N
    I sampled my tank and mixed with Deion water and got a reading of 1ppm N
    I sampled my RO water and mixed with Deion water and got a reading of 0ppm N

How does this work, it looks like i get a false reading with RO water even though my RO water contains no NO3

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Test Stuff

Hi Geoff,

What brand of test kit are you using?

Is this a Cadmium reduction method, followed by Nitrogen-Ammonia/Ammonium salicylate method?

Biollante

3. Gbark

Gbark Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Its from a company called palintest. (i could not get the lamotte test kit)

We have talked in another thread and we know my RO does contain a small amount of Nitrate.

is it possible that when i add the 19ml of RO water to the 1ml tank sample that the nitrate reading is increased by 19x