Using Phosban Reactor For Co2

Jimtemp

Feb 23, 2018
Babylon, NY
I'm in the process of setting up and installing pressurized Co2 into a 55 gal planted aquarium. After the frustration of searching for quality commercial Co2 reactors, I followed up on the suggestion from my LFS to use the Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Reactor. It will be inline from an Eheim 2217 canister filter and a DIY inline PVC venturi for the Co2 inlet.
My question is this: The Phosban Reactor has two barbed inlets/outputs on the top. One goes into an acrylic tube that runs to the bottom then out through a plate. The other just come in at the top. Which should be the input? My guy at the LFS thought it should go in at the top and out from the bottom though the tube.Your thoughts? Anybody have any insight or opinion on which is better? I attached a pic of the reactor. (I'm taking out the sponge pads on the top and bottom, don't think they're necessary). Thanks!
PhosBan Reactor.jpg
View attachment 13285 View attachment 13285 View attachment 13285

toads74

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2013
The input should be from the top, output from the bottom. You might want to put the sponges at the bottom to catch some of the micro bubbles before they leave the reactor.

Jimtemp

Feb 23, 2018
Babylon, NY
The input should be from the top, output from the bottom. You might want to put the sponges at the bottom to catch some of the micro bubbles before they leave the reactor.

Thanks. Do you think the Eheim 2217 has enough flow rate for this setup? This is a pic of the inline venturi.

Venturi.JPG

toads74

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2013
I would think so. I ran a 2215 and an Ista reactor until recently and it did fine on a 20g.

Jimtemp

Feb 23, 2018
Babylon, NY
Thanks, and I hope you're right. But I'm concerned that the two DIY gadgets above are alot bigger than the Ista Reactor, and my reactor is filled with bio-balls. I'm hoping the flow rate will be enough to dissolve the Co2.