Using Mosura Products for plants??

B

Brian20

Hi, I was looking in the mosura line and I am interested in this products:

Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder

Description: Is a safe and natural product which enhances water quality, replenishes and enhances minerals and trace elements in your tank water that has been depleted, either by your local utilities, water changes or by excessive filteration, and remove certain harmful substance like decomposed organic carbon, amines and glysxerols from your water, itis also capable of removing heavy metals, free radicals and pesticides in the water.

Use of Old Sea Mud is very popular in Japan, and almost all pro shrimp keepers use them.

We select high quality mineral rock to be used in our breeding tank and that explains why Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder contains very high portion of trace element, that is close to 3% by weight and close to 70 different trace minerals and compounds have been identified, making it very suitable to remineralize your tank.

This product is used in our new tank setups as the lowest level of the gravel or regular adminstrations into water column. Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder is capable of polishing the water by attracting impurities in the water, your aquarium water get clearer after Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder is used in water column. For first time usage, the tank may take longer time to clear up, however, for subsequent usages, clear up time should reduce as an indication of improving water quality.

This product can not only improve the well mean of fauna and also improve the growth rate of of flora because of the concentration of trace elements in it.

We recommend to use this product:

during tank setup
dose it regular into your tank water column if you have not use it as a base
after 6 months dose it into water column if Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder has been used as a base

In summary, it has these functions:

Increasing good bacterial activities
Improving water quality by removing toxic such heavy metal and free radicals.
Deodorizing unwanted smells
Reducing the number of water changes
Re-mineralization of tank water for shrimp, fish and planted tanks.

Appears to be a excellent product for the planted tank, with or without fish, but, there is much truth in what it says?

MOSURA Mineral Plus

Description: improves the colour of Crystal Red Shrimps and Red Bee Shrimps, in particular it intensifies the whiteness of the shrimps. This is achieved by providing the essential minerals that are lacking in our tap water. By providing a conducive environment for the shrimps, it allows them to build up their exoskeletons, thereby allowing for stronger and more vibrant colouration.

Our tests have also shown this product to increase the intensity of blue in blue tiger shrimps and golden eyes shrimps.

This products does not alter the pH and kH of your water, but will mildly alter the tank's GH value. MOSURA Mineral Plus can be used on an existing tank, added to a new tank or after every water change.

This appears to be a GH booster with Micros. Nothing special for tanks I think.

I am intrigued by the first product. If it works like it says I maybe buy one even without shrimps.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
This can be stated for a dozen things that are cheap. Having trace elements in it does not imply they are bioavailable. Tourmaline is a classic one where the elements are present, but not bioavailable.

Gh booster could be used for helping color.

I'd stick to the basics.
Use your own soil, or ADA AS etc, anything with some tannins in it.
All wetland soil could be stated as doing the above claims.

How much would you pay for dirt?:eek:

Regards,
Tom Barr

B

Brian20

Ok, yeah Im thinking that, I dont know alot about wetlands but the substrate that i make is simply stunning compared to normal substrates (eco complete, flora max, etc) (except ADA or expensive substrate like ELOS). Now Im growing glosso but I grow almost anything.

I was interested because its "magical?" properties:

-Improving water quality by removing toxic such heavy metal and free radicals.
-Deodorizing unwanted smells

Using it in water?, because my substrate is that, substrate, not is for use it in water, and this substrate? product, can be used in the water.

Also clean the water? Im interested in that.

My substrate I think have this:

Increasing good bacterial activities
Reducing the number of water changes
Re-mineralization of tank water for shrimp, fish and planted tanks.

Because its wet mineralized soil + Clay so its have a lots of bacteria (I think because I dont make experiments like labs. only aquarist trial and error and seeing results, taking ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test). And have a lots and lots of minerals because I see it in plants.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
No Magic

Hi Brian,

I hate to be the one to break this to you; :eek: there is no magic.:(

I, personally (as in just me), think most if not all of the marketed substrates are at best overpriced and many of them out-and-out fraudulent. :mad:

Most folks who are competent enough to set up planted tanks and involve themselves in forum such as this are perfectly capable of ‘rolling’ their own substrates. :)

By the way, don’t you live in Puerto Rico? I seem to recall tropical wetlands there. If I lived in such a paradise, I think I would go out and scoop some of it up (I am a, sanitize, sterilize or quarantine kind of nut and that would not change).

Now, about the Easter Bunny…

Biollante

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Biollante;42826 said:
there is no magic.:( Biollante

What??? Is that really true? I thought that is what Tom did, to use magic lol

Biollante;42826 said:
Now, about the Easter Bunny…
Biollante

Don't even go there...............Next thing you will be talking smack about Santa... :)

I NEED to believe!

B

Brian20

Well we pay for dirt every time that we buy a substrate!!!:D

I know your point, you are saying that we can have it for less.

Still I dont understand how a dirt can clean the water. Or is false?

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
No Smack On Santa

Hi Brian,

Some materials we put into our substrates affect the water column in different ways.

Ultimately, it depends on your goals, what plants what critters you wish to keep, how you want the system to look and behave.

I am not sure what you mean when by “cleans the water.” The “before and after” pictures they provided left me distinctly underwhelmed. :(

I am not sure what is in Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder, which bothers me as much as anything else does. :( As with any substrate material it lasts about six months (they claim), that is about right for most minerals added to substrates, magical or not.

The description of Mosura Mineral Plus sounds as though it contains Potassium Sulfate, Calcium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate a GH booster. You can accomplish the same thing by adding a quality GH booster such as Barr’s GH Booster or adding the minerals to your tank.

Assuming the products are not beyond your budget there is likely no harm in their use, though I doubt any special benefit either. You could be the first and report to us. Having never used the products I could easily be wrong.

I am always happy to be wrong and find products that really work, safely and at a reasonable price.:)

Biollante

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I've used a similar line before. Of course I was referring to how Intel manages to package some of the most expensive dirt on the planet in their CPUs. :D

Much of the marketing you quoted really makes me think you'd be better off skipping this altogether. The hyperbole they used almost makes me wonder why they didn't tell me it would lower my cholesterol, make me better in bed, whiten my teeth, or brighten my laundry. :rolleyes:

As long as it doesn't add too much salt to the water it doesn't seem like it would cause any harm to use it though, so I guess it boils down to where do you want to spend your cash? CRS are fairly pricey so maybe that also plays into this.

-
S

Tom Barr;42816 said:
How much would you pay for dirt?:eek:

Regards,
Tom Barr

B

Brian20

Biollante reading your comment now I want to use Toms GH booster instead of mosura product:D

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Hokum Free Zone

Brian20;42885 said:
Biollante reading your comment now I want to use Toms GH booster instead of mosura product:D

Hi Brian,

Well, I use the stuff. I am not trying to promote a product, it just irritates me when people make claims, won’t tell you what is in it, then you figure out it is the same stuff you can get at a fair price without the hokum.

Good luck, you will do well!:)

Biollante