This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Using Metricide 28 as Liquid Carbon

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by Ryan309, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Ryan309

Ryan309 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:11 PM
    First off, I want to say I'm new to the forum, and have been wowed by all the information present. It's awesome to have all of this in one place and I can't stop reading!

I use 1 US Gallon Metricide 28 mixed with 1.5 US Gallon tap water as a substitute for SeaChem Excel. I'm wondering how much I need to dose to have adequate amounts. I have a 54 Gallon Corner Tank. It has a 24" Hagen GLO Dual-T5HO Fixture with two 6700k bulbs. I've started dosing EI with dry ferts and am following the EI stickies recommended dosing.
    I dose 1/2 tsp of K2SO4, 1/8 tsp of KH2PO4, and 1/8 tsp of MicroNutrient Mix 3x a week. I'm mainly wondering how I measure the amount of liquid carbon in the tank. Obviously if you want to know more about the tank, please ask away!

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When I used Excel (brand), I would usually dose 1.5X or 2X the recommended.
    When using metricide, I have been using it straight from the bottle but using less, about 1X the recommended for Excel.
    About 2 months ago, I made a calculator and was using my auto dosing system to dispense metricide by using about 40% metricide and 60% water (this is the ratio for the dose I wanted in my tank based on ML per minute, etc-this is not a universal formula).
    Things were ok, but not great. So turned off the pumps (and thereby stopping the glut) and wow did my tank perk up-must have been using too much.

HTML:
    http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlourishExcel.html
    HTML:
    http://aquapetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102

3. Ryan309

Ryan309 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    So, did you stop using glut entirely? I'm not too sure what you meant. Is there any way to measure how much is in the tank? Is there a desired level, such as when injecting CO2?

4. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, I stopped altogether. I obviously was adding too much and was doing damage. I plan to stop for a while and get used to no glut.

I have been using it for a while and now have better Co2 than when I started using glut.

Its been 2 weeks and plants are growing like crazy without it. As of now, no need for glut.

I have always wondered about how to know when there is enough or not enough and never found anything.

Some plants, like vals, are very sensitive to it and other plants, like Java ferns seem to be oblivous to Glut.

I thought UG was not very sensitive to glut, because in the past I put the dropper right into it to spot treat some BGA and nothing bad happened.

But this recent bout wiped all my UG out except for a few strands, which are starting to come back--only change is that I stopped adding glut.

In hindsight, I don't remember any benefit to increasing glut dosing past the recommended Seachem levels.

5. vvDO

vvDO Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I've read a few threads recommending metricide 14 over 28 due to lack of surfactants. How long have you been using it and have you seen any ill effects on fish or shrimp?

6. Ryan309

Ryan309 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I read that the difference with Metricide 28 and 14 is that the 28 comes with a special little bottle to be mixed with the Gallon of Glut. However, I obviously don't add that bottle because it would be toxic to everything in my tank. So, I don't think what I'm using is harmful. I see no ill effects on my flora or fauna. My Vals are completely ok with it.

I wanted to clarify that I don't inject CO2. I'm strictly dosing Liquid Carbon as the sole source of Carbon. Is it possible to only use Liquid Carbon and achieve desired Carbon levels for my plants under this specific lighting? And how do I know there is enough? I dose EI so all other nutrients should be non-limiting.

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I've long stated not to exceed the SeaChem ranges.
    Adding more than 2ppm or thereabouts per day is not wise as AI, glutaldehyde.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I've long stated not to exceed the SeaChem ranges.
    Adding more than 2ppm or thereabouts per day is not wise as AI, glutaldehyde.