This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Usign the large water filter housing as both a reactor for CO2+ water polishing

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Tom Barr, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    2:08 AM
    I've toyed with making a micron filter hang on the tank filter to clean things up post trimming and moving the plants/ADA sediment around.

Damn mess I tell ya.

Anyway, since many already use water filters for CO2 reactors, this is very easy to adapt:
    Just use a 5 micron(or up to 50 microns) carbon cartridge at the night and then remove, the water will be very clear after wards, this will reduce the flow through the reactor, but should polish the water really well.
    You can still make a HOB type of water filter also, but for some, this might work well.

I'll likely get a larger Rio pump and hang it inside the tank and then a 4.5" x 20" tall water filter on a stand that holds it upright next to the tanks.
    Lifegard use to make a 4 stage unit for commercial stores/LFS etc. Been 25 years since I've seen one though.

2. ua hua

ua hua Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    That is a good idea. I remember my LFS using a Lifeguard service cart kit on their maintenance calls quite a few years ago(not quite 25 years ago though) I'm sure you could still build one by piecing together lifeguard modules and a pump on some kind of cart. They still have replacement parts for the service cart kit, but I'm sure you could make something that does the same thing for a fraction of the cost.

http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/products/product.php?id=31

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Yes, they are $$$$

My idea is to use them for post tear down and rebuilds or if you muck the ADA AS up good, you need to be able to see and water changes alone can take a while.
    Also, for photoshoots or open house events.

Used a few days a week 1-2 weeks before to clean things up real good.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Yes, they are $$$$

My idea is to use them for post tear down and rebuilds or if you muck the ADA AS up good, you need to be able to see and water changes alone can take a while.
    Also, for photoshoots or open house events.

Used a few days a week 1-2 weeks before to clean things up real good.

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I'll likely use a Rio 2500 or something hanging in the tank with some elbows to pump the water out and through a canister sitting on the floor with some flex hose once you make the U shaped turn in the pipe, then a simple U shaped hanger for the return.
    A large filter like the 20x4.5's should offer a lot of polishing power.

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I'll likely use a Rio 2500 or something hanging in the tank with some elbows to pump the water out and through a canister sitting on the floor with some flex hose once you make the U shaped turn in the pipe, then a simple U shaped hanger for the return.
    A large filter like the 20x4.5's should offer a lot of polishing power.

7. ua hua

ua hua Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I think I might give this a try as I have a spare Rio hyper flow 17 pump and the house filters are cheap enough. I'm switching my substrate to Aquasoil sometime in the coming weeks and while this will be something new to me I'm a little worried about the dust that will get kicked up during maintenance or replanting. I have no experience with this substrate so this will be a learning experience for me. Would there be any benefit to running say Purigen or diatomaceous earth inside the filter also? Or would just running it with a micron filter below 50 be good enough. I wouldn't think that you would want to put Purigen or d/e in with a micron filter of less than a 100 without running the risk of it clogging up, even if you just ran it overnight.