This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Urine as a fertilizer

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by plantgut, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    5:40 AM
    Well, adding the source to the tank, just never gonna fly in most house holds........and if you ever came over to someone's home to view their tank?
    Would you stick your hand in their tank?
    Would accept any cuttings from their tank?
    Fish?

While interesting on some levels, the basics of "not crapping where your hobby is" sort of prevails.
    Therefore, there would be a strong rejection of any such method for many reasons.

I'd gladly pay 2-3$ a year for ferts.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

2. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

If it burns when you pee,, I would get to a doctor and perhaps begin being a bit more selective when dating, co-habitating.

3. randy0319

randy0319 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    well I would'nt be throwing fish in to a tank dosed with urea but what about just diluted ammonia for a plants only tank? would a capful help or harm? plants seem to use it as a fertilizer..I wish that I had more answers to these questions

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    "Yellow Water" by I. P. Freely

Hi All,

Save the urine for the terrestrial plants, use it fresh cut it 10:1, tap water to pee, half a teaspoon of baking soda to each gallon can help if there is a concern with acidity. :gw

Fresh urine is not bad from the ammonia point of view as the urea and urate have yet to decompose to ammoniacal nitrogen.

Oddly enough, some use urine to cycle aquariums. :eek:

In a year, so I have read the average person excretes via urine 3.5 kilograms of Nitrogen and about 1 kilogram each of Phosphorus and Potassium, as well as significant amounts of metals and micronutrients.

Given what some of you folks pay for fertz, maybe when your significant other complains about all the money you are pissing away… Well, maybe they are on to something… :p

Biollante

5. Bigdan

Bigdan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Urine as a fertilizer

love m, n aquarium've since m, n 6 year old its like 30 years or aqarium freek i wanted to know if it worked or not so I did it
    I will report the progress

I myself think that it is good every 6 months
    I have a plant container with minimum fish

plants have heavy at this time
    so good moment

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oo42ixay7qz644i/voor%20urine.jpg

Greetings
    daniel

#45 Bigdan, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2013
  6. Bigdan

Bigdan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    urine

Surendra Pradhan put a field of the university in the Finnish town Kuopio full of cabbage plants. The first group of plants he naturally grow, the second group he treated periodically with fertilizers. For the third group, he chose a less conventional treatment: once in a day Pradhan poured a cup of human urine on the soil around the plants. Why urine? Because that substances such as nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium, an important ingredient of fertilizer. Earlier studies had already shown that barley and cucumber thrive on people pee. When Pradhan after nine eighty days went harvesting, showed the carbon that had been administered urine indeed greater than the carbon fertilizer and unfertilized cabbage. Presumably this is because the plants the nutrients from liquid urine easier to record than those from the fertilizer granules.

There was no strange taste to the cabbage? To test the researcher made ​​sauerkraut all types of cabbage he had grown. These he put on a tasting panel. Each sauerkraut scored well. Eight tasters found the sauerkraut cabbage from unfertilised the tastiest, seven chose the beplaste sauerkraut and five preferred sauerkraut cabbage with fertilizer was grown. For Pradhan reason enough to claim that urine, especially in the third world, a good replacement of fertilizer can be. Wait! Just a warning for you to run outside to empty your bladder in the vegetable garden. The urine must not come into direct contact with the plant. Which would thereby be damaged. Focus on the earth so

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Bigdan, is likely using a translation engine to go to English. So fear not.

8. Matt F.

Matt F. Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    LoL, could be a simple UTI. Don't want to automatically assume the person you're dating or cohabitating with has some nasty STD. Yes, go to the doctor, though.
    FWIW I don't frequent TPT anymore. I posted a whole bunch of "how-to" threads on the topic of building your own regulator, and the vendors (who sell regulators) complained to the mods/admin that I was trying to cut into their bottom line. I think LeftC also had some issues over there when all he was trying to do was help hobbyists build a quality CO2 regulator. His long thread got locked for some other BS reason.

I'm happy TBR is here. It's a site for hobbyists to share info and get legit answers. No BS.

My suggestion to the OP is to try it and let us know how it goes. I'm not going to pee in my tank. Imagine if my wife caught me peeing in the tank. I'd be institutionalized.

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    There are no vendors HERE and vendors can freely post on the trade/for sale and swap boards, I'm rather curious as to why they do NOT post here.
    It's FREE.

I guess they want to pay for protection and rules designed to get more $ out of them?

I've even encouraged it.

Nope.

I suppose they think it's a trick.:rolleyes:

10. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    I just ran across this. Must have missed it. Maybe they are afraid of the non-marketing based truth? We can, and we will build what they sell, and we'll do it better and for less money. Tell us, you can't do that, and we will. Charge us a fair price for a quality product, we will buy it.

11. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    This is fair and seems very reasonable to me.

Guess not:)

12. gsjmia

gsjmia Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Do you have to use Depends as filter media?

If urine were feasible, wouldn't it be a once or twice thing due to build up of TDS?

Gives "dose" a whole another meaning.

13. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    What an interesting thread!

I don't want to hijack it, but it seems to be pretty far gone anyway (Depends! ) so here's a bit of Americana. In some parts of the Northeast USA it was the custom on the last night of an Irish wake, after everybody had left except for the closest friends of the deceased, to give him his last drink. He was lifted from the coffin and a bit of his favorite potion was poured into his mouth. His friends then toasted him, he was placed back into the coffin and it was sealed for burial.

But if the deceased had been disliked he did not get a last drink. Instead, in the dark of the night on the day of the burial, some of the people who he offended went to the grave site, drank a toast to his departure, and urinated on the grave. I don't know if this lead to increased plant growth, though.

Bill

14. Maxwell

Maxwell Junior Poster

Local Time:
    If it'd have been that easy than, probably every one will be taking a piss in a pond or a lake and nurturing the plants while it stinks like hell.

15. PatFox

PatFox Junior Poster

Local Time:
    But urine contains enough urea in it and that would cause some extreme damage to plants. So better to avoid it as it works like an acid

16. BenFishin

BenFishin Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    When I moved to my home5 years ago, I had three large pink hydrangeas planted in a row on one side of my house. They provide great cover when nature calls during outdoor maintenance. Usually I'll run inside, but when my feet and hands are filthy I opt to keep my house clean and handle business mostly in the same spot. I now have a pink, purple, and blue arrangement of hydrangea. So if anyone ever struggles with getting the blue color, just pee next to it. If you start with blue and want to go to pink, well I am not sure it is that easy.

The rate of growth doesn't appear to be any different between the three. They all are growing very well though.

To be clear, this was not a controlled experiment but, urine is the only thing that I know has changed in the equation.

- - - Updated - - -

When I moved to my home5 years ago, I had three large pink hydrangeas planted in a row on one side of my house. They provide great cover when nature calls during outdoor maintenance. Usually I'll run inside, but when my feet and hands are filthy I opt to keep my house clean and handle business mostly in the same spot. I now have a pink, purple, and blue arrangement of hydrangea. So if anyone ever struggles with getting the blue color, just pee next to it. If you start with blue and want to go to pink, well I am not sure it is that easy.

The rate of growth doesn't appear to be any different between the three. They all are growing very well though.

To be clear, this was not a controlled experiment but, urine is the only thing that I know has changed in the equation.

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad that there is a place on this site for me to share the previous information in a suitable thread. I haven't told anyone that before. Not even the wife ;). Thanks TBR!

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad that there is a place on this site for me to share the previous information in a suitable thread. I haven't told anyone that before. Not even the wife ;). Thanks TBR!