This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Urine as a fertilizer

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by plantgut, Apr 7, 2008.

1. plantgut

plantgut Junior Poster

Local Time:
    2:44 PM
    Okay now I'm banned. WHATEVER

2. creighton

creighton Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    F*** those idiots. Its amazing how narrow minded people can be.

3. Dr.Tran

Dr.Tran Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Yeah I just noticed too. They are too senstive on many of the subjects.

But to be honest with u, they had a good reason for banning spypet. I think he deserved it. He was nice to the new people and then became very hostile to u after u were around a while.

But anyway this is a thread for the science of fertilzation for aquatic plants! Lets get back to topic.

I remember that my dad use to fertize the garden plants with diluted urine. Thats because thats what they use to do in the farms when he was a kid.

4. plantgut

plantgut Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Really, do you know which thread they banned him for? The mods said it was a certain thread. I didn't see what he said. Anyway, my test tank will be a 1.5 gallon with sand, giant hygro, amazon sword, and java moss and maybe a single platy. Lighting will be a 13 watt CF or sunlight.

5. Dr.Tran

Dr.Tran Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Nah I never saw the final thread. But he was very harsh to me and many others when it wasn't nesscary. It happen more than once on my threads. He deleted his post and I believe the mods deleted some of them too.

BTW if u have some of the anarchris, waterweed, throw that one in there and don't use a fish yet. At 1.5 gal, it would be extremely easy to kill the fish even without urine. At that size, its hard to keep the tank stablized at all times. The waterweed grows very fast so I think it would be easy to see if it has a significant effect since it would be easy to see if it grows even faster. It would respond to the ferts faster than the others.

6. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I don't think using a 1.5 gallon tank will prove anything. It is very hard to quantify the light intensity for such a small tank. And, you would really need to set up two identical tanks, same size, same light, same substrate, same plants. You would want to get both tanks growing identically using the same fertilizers too, to demonstrate that you can do that. Only then could you switch one tank to urine, while maintaining the other on other ferts. If major differences then occurred, you would have a good case that the urine was the difference. To be conclusive you would have to use more than two tanks, and repeat the test several times, always getting the same results.

7. tkos

tkos Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I would highly suggest not using a fish in this experiment. Just a planted tank. First with all the potential toxins in urine, the fish would probably not fare well. And second, a 1.5 gallon tank is far too small for a platy.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I do not trust folks that do not at least get banned on at least one site:D

I've banned 3 folks here, 2 where known spammers, not real posters/hobbyists. The one hobbyists has been around for nearly a decade and is .......well..........not really interested in much other than poo pooing other folks. I also rarely ever close threads.

This cannot be said for other forums and with this many members.
    You will get a straight answer, even if it's about pee.

One other thing about pee is really the level of N in the pee itself, batch to batch.
    If I drank a lot of water, vs not much and ate a lot of Jerky with high salt and protein most of the day, the differences I'd suspect would be very large.

Measurement and consistency would be troublesome.
    Urine also quickly gets all sorts of bacteria, and many are human pathogens.
    If you are dying of thirst in the desert etc, if you drink asap, it's safe.
    But that's a last resort:cool:
    But it does not last long, same deal here.

So if you plan on any "test", you'd need to know what is actually in each trip to the outhouse, and hope your significant other does not catch you doing this.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

9. a1matt

a1matt Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Please excuse my being a little off topic here (especially as I haven't posted here in over a year, he he!)....

I had a cat obsessed neighbour a while back who had about 13 cats. As I didn't use my back garden much at the time they figured it would make a great toilet. I liked the cats, but it wasn't much fun for me when it came to mowing the lawn.

So I pee'd in a bottle and scattered it over the lawn for a couple of days :eek:

It worked a charm, the cats took one sniff and were off! :cool:

10. plantgut

plantgut Junior Poster

Local Time:
    A 1.5 gallon will be fine for a single platy. Platies are very hardy and I use them all the time to cycle tanks. I'm still thinking about including him in the experiment since I want to prove that urine is not dangerous when used in the correct amount. I don't have any spare tanks laying around other than 1 and a 1.5 gallon that I've had for years. If anyone wants to ship me two 10 gallon tanks that's fine with me :D. Oh and I do have anacharis which will also be one of my test plants.

11. tkos

tkos Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Platies are social fish. And i really hate the idea of experiemnting with toxins on animals. But it is yoour tank and your experiment. Hardy or not still seems wrong to me.

12. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Well, if you know the specifics of a toxin, then you know the risk.
    But the toxin involved here is hardly consistent, which is a huge problem.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

13. Carissa

Carissa Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Even if it is successful it won't really "prove" that urine is safe. Maybe you could say it was safe in one instance, or it's not always unsafe, but that's with using the urine of one person at one point in their life. Seems like too many variables to be able to ever say it is truly safe in the general sense.

14. Dr.Tran

Dr.Tran Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks Tom for letting us discuss some true science. I don't get it, it was in all seriousness. Were they expecting us to some how play with urine?

Anyway theres no bacteria in urine. Its not really easy for bacteria to grow in it but those that do, u should definally stay away. The urine that leaves the body has no bacteria due to the bodies defense system unless there is a problem with the body. Usally a bacteria infection in the urogenital system.

15. plantgut

plantgut Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Here is what I found on Wikipedia:

Tom was right. It seems that urine is sterile once it leaves the body, but afterwards can be colonized by bacteria.

That shows how sterile urine is once it leaves the body.

Cell phone battery powered by urine?

16. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Well, as odd as it may sound, manure science is quite the rage at UCD.
    They got 3 million$ for Cow bubbles to measure all the forms of excrement.

I know it's safe when it first comes out, but folks that intend to save it for later, or go out drinking beer to get a week's supply etc, they will find it to be dag nasty really quick, so unless you plan on pee collection daily or there abouts, this is not a good idea.

I really doubt anyone you live with will be kosher with a bottle of pee in the frig either.

So...........

But back to the more plant issue here, consistency, what are the ranges for total N in Human urine?

I bet it's all over.

So how would you know and dose it with such variation?
    You'd have to test and measure each batch pretty much and watch your diet etc.

All for what?

KNO3/Ca(NO3)2 sounds a lot less troublesome, more sanitary etc.
    Does not mean the thread should be closed, but just see where the common sense leads you.

I'm not in charge of other sites, that's totally up to them whether they ban me, ban a thread etc. It their site after all. It's like coming over to someone's home/business and telling them how to behave. If they say something you feel is unfair, you leave.

If you do not like it, you do not have to go there. I no longer go to APC for this very reason. They took out selected parts of my post. So I went through and deleted all my post. So they banned me for removing my own post.

Some ideas are nutty, but should be looked at.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

17. plantgut

plantgut Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Woh, you got banned? At APC? Wow I thought APC was easy going. They can't be worse than TPT. Is that why you made your own forum?

I really appreciate this forum. From what I've seen ADA, Tek, AH Supply, Rex Grigg are not shoved down your throat. I understand now that dosing with urine is not really feasible and I probably shouldn't waste my time experimenting (although I still might :D). So far I have KNO3 and the rest is provided by Flourish supplements. You think I could find K2SO4, Plantex CSM+B, KH2PO4 at a hydroponics store? I will not order from Rex Grigg.

18. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  19. randy0319

randy0319 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I'm pretty new to this site and subject. but I wanted to know if there were any results...can a tank be dosed with atered down urea or ammonia? Would plants(just plants mind you) benefit from such a 'dosing' series? Should i be peeing in a bottle and saving sincve I live alone and know the contents of my fridge farily well? Or should I just buy dry potassium, sulfate, etc. etc. and mixing it in a bottle? Urine is a fertilizer and ammonia does help plants as a nutrient. So what is the verdict on all of this? I think that it is a valid scientific inquiry. best wishes ---R

20. 1077

1077 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:

Was following along half interested until mention was made of throwing fish into the equation.