Urgently - Trimming Question

borman

Prolific Poster
Dec 29, 2007
Zaporozhye, Ukraine
Dear fellows
I have very important question.
Yesterday I trim my plants (Rotalas Rotundifolia and Sp Green)
But today I found that I missed with height of trimming.
So I need to trim it more. One of my friend stated that generally if plants trimmed more that 1 time at once its significant slow down in grows...
How faced with such problem... so yesterday it trimmed and tommorow i shall trim it once again for 6-8 cm down... will it grows as it tend to be. (Generally i have 1week lag and then new tips apeared Actually Sp green faster then rotundifolia)
Its very important for me
Thanks

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

I may be the worst at cutting a straight line.

I have trimmed the same stand of many stems on consecutive days with no issues......But not more than 2-3 consecutive days and the majority of the biggest cuttings were day1. Day 2 was for trimming only..I did not trim daily for a week as an example :)

I would say it is an issue if you wait several days............

My 2 cents..

Keep us posted..........

borman

Prolific Poster
Dec 29, 2007
Zaporozhye, Ukraine
Dear Gerry.
So after such trims your plants recover with same speed as before (when you trim only 1 time)?
So my main cut was 1 of may, tomorrow is 3rd - I think its only 2 day lag - hope all will be fine

For me is also interesting whats happen inside plant under such trim conditions - Tom can you slightly light this question up.... :)

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Yes, I see no difference in recovery speed...but I was not using a stopwatch lol

As long as you are not cutting ALL the same plants on a daily basis, you are fine.....if a few stems are clipped multiple times, they MAYBE slowed, but will be covered by the quicker growth usually..

It is very interesting how plants respond to pruning and trimming.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
They Just Keep Growing...

Hi Borman,

It might make for an interesting test.

I have never noticed any lag from multiple trimming with Rotala rotundifolia or any other stem plants. :)

Biollante

argnom

Guru Class Expert
May 24, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Imo, there is not that much difference. They may grown more "bushy" if you keep on trimming them, so they may appear to grow more slowly, but I think it's because the plant uses more "energy" to send out more new shoots.

I find that some plants seem to get "angry" when trimming them constantly and they send out a bunch of new tips instead of just one or two. It's a little like if the plant was trying to tell you "yeah, so you want to constantly cut my head off, now I'll just grow a bunch of new ones, try to cut them all off!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Not Much Risk

borman;50207 said:
Hi Biollante

The main thing is that its not simple multipl trimming but trimming on the next day after main trim

Hi Borman,

Unless they were slow growing to begin with I do not see the harm. I trim mine quite a bit and I am reasonably sure I have cut them on consecutive days, I suspect I have probably cut them twice in the same day. :eek:

I agree with argnom, I suspect the worst outcome might be some “bushiness” I just do not think with Rotala rotundifolia it is going to make much difference. :)

Biollante

borman

Prolific Poster
Dec 29, 2007
Zaporozhye, Ukraine
Yep, friends you were right - after 2 multipy trimming - no grows restriction - Im happy
thanks
but nevertheless
For me is also interesting whats happen inside plant under such trim conditions - Tom can you slightly light this question up.... :)