Urgent: Allergy to aquarium water, please help

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I'm getting back right now from the emergencies. Since 7-10 days, I begun expieriencing urticaria everytime I take care of the aquarium. The last days, it was worst and happening even after contact few drops when wearing gloves. Tonight, I only touched water surfce with one finger, and it was a generalized reaction. They now prohibit me from approching the aquarium until I can seek a dermatologist/allergologist. This could take few weeks at least.

I'm doing EI with the tank in my signature (60G with 40G real volume, 4x54W T5). Now, I think I can't take the risk to take care of it in anyway. Except feeding the fish, no one would help me in this task.

Here's the tank now

Please, suggest me how to proceed to make my tank run the longer possible without needing any attention despite feeding the fish. I'm so desperate and sad to what's happening.

The new things I do, that could explain the allergy, are:
- Started again with froze red larvae (but I used the same pack few months ago, no issues)
- Magnesium sulfate
- Introducing some Amano Shrimps and trumpet snails

Any help will be really appreciated in this dramatic situation

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Jonny,

Short term: cut down on the EI dosing and you should be able to go a couple of weeks without water changes and pruning.

Long term: find out what you are allergic to ASAP!

Talk about a nightmare for someone who enjoys this hobby. :eek:

Non-CO2 tanks require very little maintenance, but, honestly, with the severe reactions you are having, how can you possibly keep a fish tank? :confused:

Nice tank, by the way...

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
If you can turn off half of the light that will do more to stabilize things for a few weeks than anything else. You don't need 4 54 watt T5HO bulbs for that size tank anyway, so you shouldn't even see any change from turning half of them off, other that slower growth and less algae.

I'm really sorry about the allergy - that is a real bummer. I hope you can get desensitized. I know that is possible.

SuperColey1

Guru Class Expert
Feb 17, 2007
Lincoln, UK
Thats a real downer mate. I feel for you. I'd be lost without the tank to play with. Don't know what I'd do with myself.

As above hope something can be done.

AC

charlie

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2006
Sorry to hear of your predicament, added to the other suggestions( less ferts 1/2 the lights) you can also raise the light fixture , this would reduce the intensity of light into the tank, thereby reducing growth & dosing, do you have a local club, perhaps they can help for a short period , if that fails maybe a professional aquarium care services as a short term every 2 weeks or so.

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi and many thanks for all the support,

After a good night, I'm more optimistic,

I'm gonna buy some impermeable clothes. I'll also try to get some long insemination veterinary gloves as it was suggested to me by someone. I have recently started a thread to reduce my lighting and plants growing speed. So, as you suggest, I put the luminaire at an extra 16 inches (was 4 inches) and reduced CO2 and will reduce micro and macro dosages.

My wife will help me with water changes and I'll no longer vacuum the gravel since it is rather risky. Hopefully, I won't have to prune too regularely

What a nightmare anyway. I can't imagine letting the aquarium aside. I'm sure it's one thing I add that's causing all this. I should only identify it I guess

I'll let you know how it goes

Thank you again and if someone lived a same expierience, let me know

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
If you're bored, and the reaction isn't too severe, you could try to see what is causing it in the meantime. I'd also have a supply of Benedryl tablets on hand to take as that will usuall end most allergic reactions quickly.

If it's in the water, I'd probably start with the magnesium sulfate. Put some in some clean tap water to the dosage you use and then stick a finger in it. If you don't run into issues then that's not the problem. If you do, then maybe you just need to stop dosing that and you're set.

Allergies are rarely that simple and if the reaction is that severe it's probably going to get worse each time you're exposed to whatever is causing it. Sometimes you can desensitize to it, but not always. Benedryl will usually take care of the mild reactions, puffy skin, itching, some breathing issues. If it's truly severe, an Epi-pen on hand might be helpful. Those are the devices carried by people who go into anaphalactic shock if stung by a bee. Basically it's an adreneline shot.

Some ideas to consider. I'm not a doctor and allergies aren't something to mess around with when they get to the point where even touching something causes reactions. I had to drop a course in college because I couldn't even get in the lab without breaking out and getting wheezy so I know how bad it can get.

-
S

Panda

Guru Class Expert
Jun 14, 2008
Puerto Rico
Sad part about allergies is that you can become allergic to something that you have been handling for your life. Example : I saw a reaction to tuna fish on a patient that always enjoyed it !! Like said above, have your Benadryl always with you, on your car, work, home...it can save your life!
It can take some time to find the trigger but be patient and soon you'll be with your hands wet 3 or 4 times a week !! Nice tank !

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi again,

Yes, I now have on me some caps of the Benedryl equivalent where I live: Cetallerg (Cetrizin). I also thought about trying by my self to investigate it but the last reaction was some how too intense for just a finger in the water...

I'll seek an allergologist and I could try at least the magnesium sulfate, Potassium sulfate and frozen red larvae to begin with. Hope it will be some additive easy to identify. If it is some mold in the aquarium causing it, it could be harder and will need an antibiotic for all the tank

Anyway, I also hope it gets sorted quickely, this is really embarassing