This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Upper limits on ferts with RCS

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by toads74, Jun 3, 2013.

1. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:33 PM
    Hello,

Being new to fertilizing planted tanks, and before i set up a couple test containers and potentially sacrifice some RCS to the cause, does anyone know what the upper limits are for the ferts below when dealing with Neocaridina spp shrimps, RCS in particular (other Neo. varieties would do for my purposes though)? I mainly want to establish what levels should be considered an emergency and require intervention.

Also, i'm starting EI on a 10g RCS tank, so what would be a good starting point for N,P,K ppm levels for this tank? It is 10g, 13W cfl ~1ft above the substrate), flourite, no CO2. I saw the levels for fish, but suggestions for shrimp seem to be a little harder to find.

Ferts i'll be using:
    KH2PO4, KNO3, K2SO4
    Flourish (i've dosed this up to 2tsp twice a week in a 10g with no visible problem :cool:)

ph ~7.2, 50% w/c weekly

Thanks!

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    3:33 AM
    I've tried to kill RCS with ferts and with H2O2, with Busan 77(algaefix) and not kill my plants, I've not been able to do so. I might kill a few, but most of them laughed at me.

3. toads74

toads74 Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    9:33 PM
    Lol I'll quit worrying about it then! ;)

Thanks a bunch!

4. Tiago Nicolau

Tiago Nicolau Member

Local Time:
    Tom, the H2O2 you used was the standard 3% or you used a stronger one?

I got my hands on a new bottle of 9% H2O2 wich turned my BBA red when treated without water and on spot, but i dont know if i can dose it instead of Excel for some days/weeks without harming the RCS?

- - - Updated - - -

Tom, the H2O2 you used was the standard 3% or you used a stronger one?

I got my hands on a new bottle of 9% H2O2 wich turned my BBA red when treated without water and on spot, but i dont know if i can dose it instead of Excel for some days/weeks without harming the RCS?

5. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    I've found that NO3 levels may not kill them, but if you have a low tech tank with no water changes regular fert dosing will build up TDS to the point that they will die eventually even if NO3 levels stay low. This is going to sound like 2 year old talk to all the accomplished scientists here,.. but I'm not sure the salts from the "SO4" part of "K2S04" ever leave without water changes.

HTH,
    Whiskey

6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    TDS seems to kill them, like high salt content or if your tap have a water softener.