Upcoming Micromix matrix developed by me!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have decided to offer up several products so folks can tailor their tanks and desires for trace elements. Note, I developed these, I do not sell them!

Gluconate Fe
One product is a dry formulation of Fe gluconate, sort of like the SeaChem product, except dry and less expensive to ship and about 10x cheaper.

Marine Macro Grow
This is specifically for macro algae and tailored specifically for marine plants.
Can also be used in harder FW tanks.

Aquatic plant Micro Matrix Mix
This is a general mix that was developed based on the elemental ratios compared from 56 species of aquatic plants from the published research. This has the Gluconate, the Nitro and the hard water Fe chelator at a 30:10:60 ratio for Fe. ETDA is good for any pH range for the other traces. Copper is on the slightly conservative side however not nearly as low at SeaChem nor as high as CMS.
Adds the best of TMG+Flourish+more plant research+ a new novel iron fertilizer.
It will be sold dry and is about 10-20X cheaper than the comparable brands.
1lb will make about 50 liters worth of equivalent liquid.

Super Fe nitro:
This is a special mix unlike anything on the market in this hobby.
It uses amnio acids to complex the Fe and both the chelator and the metal can both be used by the plant. Cool eh?

Note, I will never sell to folks direct, this will go through the Aquarium Plant Food - hobbyist taking care of hobbyist … | Planted Aquarium Fertilizer site that Alan runs now, after he took over for Greg Watson.

He likes selling small 1lb-5 lb amounts, I sell 1 ton amounts only. :eek:
These products will be available here shortly later in June.

Regards,
Tom Barr

jason311

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2007
Great to see that it is almost ready to come out! I will make sure to get my order in asap.Thanks for all the work you have put into this Tom!

Daniel Morris

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Feb 20, 2005
Washington DC
Awesome! Can't wait to get an order in. So many people use different Micro products that I've never gotten a clear idea which is the best.... This one sounds like its definitely worth switching from Flourish.

I assume the Aquatic Plant Micro Matrix also mixes in some Super Fe Nitro mix?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
No, there is no Fe Nitro in that.
Ack, sorry, I see that there is a 10 % ratio there.
Hummm............I can sell it separately I think.

Just Gluc and DTPA mix at 25%:75%.

Since the Glu does not last long, may as well have less.

I suppose I could add the Fe Nitro max to the general and go with that.
2 different weak chelators and a strong.

Then sell some of the Fe Nitro max separately. It cost the most and I'm trying to keep the $ down.

However, it's still 10X cheaper than SeaChem or Tropica and no shipping cost.

Regards,
Tom Barr

BHornsey

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2006
Doncaster, UK
Hi Tom,

What's the prospect for us UK users? Any chance Richard at Aqua Essentials might be persuaded?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm getting the product in a little while.
I'll have the Fe Gluc, Nitro and Marine sooner(2 weeks most likely).
The Matrix mix will be a bit longer(3 weeks or so).

Thanks,
Tom Barr

Crazy Loaches

Guru Class Expert
Nov 20, 2006
Ohio
Is there any word yet on release Tom? With my new tanks I'm thinking about getting some Tropica (whatever it is called now) but man its pricey stuff and I'll need larger quantities.

I'm wondering... I assume youve been testing this stuff out for a while? I mean its actually performed at least on par with the competing products I hope (not just in theory I mean).

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
BHornsey;17184 said:
Hi Tom,

What's the prospect for us UK users? Any chance Richard at Aqua Essentials might be persuaded?

Yes, he's considering getting 100lbs or so of the general and we shall see about the others.

I offer a pretty sweet deal for getting it, so I try and supply folks in each area that also sell KNO3 etc.

So I have folks in the USA/Canada, UK, Australia.

I'm waiting for a client to cough up the $, so I can go get this.

Regrads,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have been using the Tropica like stuff some some time.
The matrix has basically a similar mix as Tropica's for 75% of the product and little less of certain traces, more of others.

I can get an extract formulation as Tropica if I want, but I think for many legal reasons, that it needs to be different and can be improved upon as well.
I'm not a copy cat.

Adding some other items to it is only going to improve things.
So part theory, part practical usage.
We have all used SeaChem, and TMG, so a blend of both is not going to be much different than our own experiences, adding some extra stuff for one, less on another will only tweak the product more.

CMS is long way from TMG or SeaChem.

Regards,
Tom Barr
I need to have it made, use it for awhile to say otherwise.

Regards,
Tom Barr

livionakano

Lifetime Members
Jan 24, 2005
Dear Tom,
I am trying to seek for a local source of iron gluconate, but here in Brazil is a bit hard to find any (at least, a pure one).
I have found Iron in association with other quelators, and I would like to hear your opinion about them: Fumarate, Glicinate and Sacarate.
Regards,
Livio

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Those are fairly weak, naqmely used in vitamins etc.

Regards, Tom Barr

livionakano

Lifetime Members
Jan 24, 2005
Tom Barr;18489 said:
Those are fairly weak, namely used in vitamins etc.

Regards, Tom Barr

Yes, it the kind that is used in food supplements

So, you mean that they are unsuitable for aquarium plants?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Not, maybe, they break off and end up like preciptating out of solution.

You can add rust or FeSO4 as well in that case.

Regards,
Tom Barr

2wheelsx2

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2006
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Any updates on the mix Tom? I am almost out of Flourish and was going to get some TMG (or should it be TPN now?) If your mix will be out soon (within a month), I'll just order yours.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I'm taking my time here, but have other things like work(2 jobs), school/research so it's not going to be done till the end of the month, then I have to make it at a larger scale and then ship to Alan for retail sale.

That latter part will not take but about a week or so. I want to test it and Traces take longer than any other fert testing to gauge.

Regards,
Tom Barr

dantra

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2007
TX
The timing sounds just about right for me. I’m putting together a 60cm tank but the rest of the equipment I ordered won’t arrive until next week. With my schedule it should be up and running by the end of the month.

That would be the perfect time to order the Micromix Matrix.

Good Luck Tom, hope everything goes well.

Dan

Crazy Loaches

Guru Class Expert
Nov 20, 2006
Ohio
Me too^... I am starting up my dream tank in the next couple weeks (240g) and I have a 500ml bottle of TPN right now.... dont think it will last very long lol!