Upcoming BarrReport newsletters on algae

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
In the coming months, I will start doing a series of monthly reports on Algae.

I would like to specifically obtain only aquarium algae, the strange, the common and ugly.

Good pictures, classic pictures etc are welcomed as will be samples sent to me if possible.

I have a digital microscope so I'd like to get some good pictures.
Green water...........hopefully I can get the folks over at the SEM to get some good images of this one and the Oscillitoria and perhaps a couple of others.

The rest are easy to identify with light microscopes.

Thanks,

Tom Barr

kazooless

Junior Poster
Sep 24, 2006
San Diego
Intersested in mine?

Tom Barr;14424 said:
In the coming months, I will start doing a series of monthly reports on Algae.

I would like to specifically obtain only aquarium algae, the strange, the common and ugly.

Good pictures, classic pictures etc are welcomed as will be samples sent to me if possible.

I have a digital microscope so I'd like to get some good pictures.
Green water...........hopefully I can get the folks over at the SEM to get some good images of this one and the Oscillitoria and perhaps a couple of others.

The rest are easy to identify with light microscopes.

Thanks,

Tom Barr

You've seen mine, and since i have to clip soon, you're welcome to it. Is that what you're looking for? If so, I'd be happy to send you some of the leaves, water after a glass scrub, etc. on Saturday via US Postal. Lemme know.

livionakano

Lifetime Members
Jan 24, 2005
If I can get some good ones, certainly I will send them.
Does it possible to send you from another countries?
Any advice to pack them ? (green water, for exemple)

Regards,
Livio

vidiots

Prolific Poster
Apr 29, 2006
Wakefield, NH
Tom Barr;14424 said:
In the coming months, I will start doing a series of monthly reports on Algae. I would like to specifically obtain only aquarium algae, the strange, the common and ugly. Good pictures, classic pictures etc are welcomed as will be samples sent to me if possible.

I have a bunch of different setups here. Between my kids poorly maintained tanks, and some of my low tech tanks that I haven't quite gotten completely balanced yet I could probably provide a variety of samples. I've also got a new 7.1 megapixel digital camera with 10x optical zoom and a good macro function, which really compensates for my poor picture taking skills.

Some are: Brown Algae, Blue-Green Algae, Black Brush Algae, Green Thread Algae, Green Spot Algae.

I've also got a thick carpet of Green Brush Algae in my SW experimenting tank.

The only problem is that I would need instructions on how to send ya the samples.
If you want I can click some pics and send them..

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Noxious marine algae work also.

I'll focus namely on FW, then move on to marine seagrasses, macro algae etc.
This fall I'll be switching mainly to marine algae articles.

Regards,
Tom Barr

vidiots

Prolific Poster
Apr 29, 2006
Wakefield, NH
Today I took few pics of some cyanobacteria. I tried to upload them to the gallery and it gave me a number of errors. I then tried uploading them to the plant/algae database. They uploaded there, but the colors on some don't look right when I try to view them.

The errors I got trying to upload to the gallery were, Image format, and file size. The pictures are JPG files that range in size from 825kb to 1261kb. Do I need to reduce the picture size and quality to get them to upload and display properly?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Ask Greg about this, it should not be that tough.

Regards,
Tom Barr