This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Up-Date (Can it be done)

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by GreenStuff, Feb 28, 2005.

1. GreenStuff

GreenStuff Prolific Poster

The original thread was getting a little long so I thought I'd start a new one just keep those who might be interested up-to-date.

I did a 60% water change on the weekend and am continuing with the...
    1/4 tsp NO3, 8 drops of Fleet, three times a week and 5ml Flourish on alternate days. (25G tall)

My CO2 is likely at the limit for fish. (Ram has hole in the head now and a phantom tetra is rather lethargic.) All the rest seem fine, so I'm thinking it's the stress of all the changes I've made lately that's effecting those two.

Growth is good. The rotala reached the top of the tank. I cut some off and replanted it. The Ludwigia is looking great. I didn't think I was very fond of that plant, but I put some in just to take up space, and now I really like it.

Algae? Minimal. A slight dust on the glass just before I did the WC, and a little bit of staghorn on some of the older plants. I picked off as much as I could. It seems to only be in the lower areas of the tank where it doesn't get as much light. My only concern is that it's still growing rather than not.

Overall, the tank seems to be doing quite well, and it was a pleasure doing the water change. I didn't have to pull anything or even get the bleach out.

2. chubasco

chubasco Guru Class Expert

Re: Up-Date (Can it be done)

You got a quarantine tank for your sick fish?

Bill

3. GreenStuff

I could have, but catching fish in a planted tank just makes a big mess and uproots everything in the tank. I'm not very good at it. ......even in an empty tank.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Just keep picking at things, the remaining algae will go away.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

5. GreenStuff

Starting my third week using the ei method.

1. Did a 60% water change. Fluffed and cleaned.
    2. Cleaned out the filter. (There were strings of algae hanging from the output holes)
    3. Picked, (not sure if it's hair or staghorn, algae off some vals), java fern and a crypt, (all of these are plants that were not replaced when I bought the new ones)
    4. Picked the lower leaves off reineckii that had fuzz algae on them.
    5. Did the ar*e wipe method suggested by Tom to remove the dust algae on the glass.
    6. Trimmed the tops of the stem plants off and planted where ever I could squeeze them in.
    7. Added 1/4 tsp NO3, and 8 drops of Fleet.

Observed: slight BGA on the Rotala. (Never had that before.)
    Observed: the Rotala no longer getting pink at the top.
    Observed: most of the algae that's growing is growing on plants that were not replaced, and most of it is at the bottom of the tank.

QUESTION: I'm using KNO3 1/4 tsp 3 times per week in 25G. Should I also be adding K (No-Salt)? Is there something that's better than No-Salt, if I should be?
    See original thread for specs.