This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Up CO2 Atomizer - Feedback after 22 months and cleaning questions

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by jonny_ftm, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    3:11 AM
    Hi,

First, the feedback after 22 months of use:

I never cleaned the atomizer in those 22 months. It never leaked and I never had to increase my working pressure. The working pressure is near 30 psi (2.0 to 2.1 bar). So, it is important to have a good CO2 circuit to avoid leaking in tube connections.

Since 2 months, I noticed that the mist dramatically reduced and I saw big bubbles instead of the fine mist which means a clogging issue. So overall, it worked 20 months without needing cleaning.

This could depend on your tank dust and filter setup (flow, filtering layers, cleaning filter...). In my case, it is a 300 lph filter that I cleaned only 3 times in 22 months...

So, for the price of it, I can only recommend it to anyone needing the greatest CO2 results with a simple, silent and esthetic (invisible) method.

Now the cleaning

I used bleech solution for 10h. I injected the bleech in the CO2 chamber using a very fine syringe. To drain it, I inject air with a tightened syring tip. The pressure of the injected air will push the bleech through the ceramic. I then rinced that way using hot water . After the bleech was rinced, I repeated the steps but this time with oxygenated water (only 1h).

After testing, the mist is back, but not as fine as it used to be.

Any help on how you clean your ceramic diffusers and if they can ever get back their mist as it was before first use?

Meanwhile, I ordered 2 other units for teh next years

2. detlef

detlef Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

the only other issue I can think of is clogging due to inorganic deposits. You might try soaking the atomizer for an hour or two in fairly heated vinegar or any other weak acid.

Regards, Detlef

3. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  4. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think H2O2 would be just as effective as bleach and much less likely to cause problems in the tank. Both are strong oxidizers which is how they do their cleaning. Never tried Tilex.

Jim

5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I had an atomizer clogged when bubble counter solution got inside. Bleach didn't seem to clear it. I will have to try tilex.

Don't oxidizers work primarily on organics? KMnO4, Potassium permanganate, should work as well as it is a strong oxidizer.

6. jonny_ftm

jonny_ftm Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Well, as described above, I used bleach solution for about 10h and after rinsing, H2O2 for 1h

The solution was pushed through the ceramic by air pressure.

Despite this, the mist is no longer as fine as it used to be.

Maybe I should try vinegar in fact or a longer bleach/H2O2 and end with vinegar in hot water.

Not sure though that China made plastics will survive this treatment :rolleyes:

If any one else have ideas on cleaning this super diffuser...

Meanwhile, I'll wait for the new ordered units to come. I'll install a new unit and give the old one a terrible cleaning run. Will feedback in 20 months :p when the new one clogs and I reinstall the cleaned one. Lazy to mount/unmount many times.

7. Jim Miller

Jim Miller Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The simplest approach might just to buy a new one each year.

Jim