This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Uns 60u First Time Scaping With Wood (harmony)

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Prooda, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Prooda

Prooda New Member

Local Time:
    9:28 AM
    Hello Everyone!

This is my second journal that I've posted on this forum. Due to the current situation, the Uns 60s has been put to a halt (its coming together soon, I promise). I've wanted to purchase the UNS 60u for some time now but didn't pull the trigger on it yet. I came home one day and noticed that my dutch aquarium has a crack in it and it was leaking everywhere. Luckily, I was able to save all the plants and fish before it was too late. I thought to myself, this is the perfect time to finally purchase the UNS 60u. So the next day after work, I went to the LFS and purchase the new tank. Due to the lack of time, I had to throw together a scape and planted in less than 5 hours. I didn't want a Dutch or Iwagumi aquascape anymore. I wanted something different, I wanted something that was out of my comfort zone. I decided to go with something that looked more natural. So I decided to dig up the pile of wood that I've collected over the year and scape with it. I've never scaped with wood before since its very intimidating to me. Every time I do it, it never comes out the way that I wanted to. After 2 hours, I finally got what I wanted. I used multiple types of wood and stones to create a more natural look.

Hardware
    Tank: Uns 60u
    Light: Nilocg Prizm
    Co2: 5lbs tank with Nilocg Atomizer
    Filter: Eheim 2217

Plants
    Foreground
    -Marsilea Hirsuta
    -Micro Sword
    -Cryptocoryne Parva
    Midground
    -Rotala Bonsai
    -Hydrocotyle Verticillata
    -Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
    -Bacopa Monnieri
    -Anubias Petite
    -A random type of Anubias (Idk the name, if you could help me determine which type it is, that'd be great!)
    -Bucephalandra Antyovani
    -Buce Wavy Green
    -Buce Brownie Ghost
    Background
    -Amazon Sword
    -Rotala Pink
    -Hornwort
    -Ludwigia Super Red

Inhabitants
    -Blue Dreams (Started with 15)
    -Amano Shrimps (x5)
    -Bamboo Shrimps (x2)

This is my previous tank, the Dutch tank that cracked RIP "Rebirth" :(
    IMG_20200113_125420.jpg

Day 0
    IMG_20200609_110047.jpg
    Day 7: Added some more details and the buces finally arrived
    IMG_20200613_175509.jpg
    I hope you enjoyed reading my journal, as much as I enjoyed scaping and admiring this tank. I will be updating this journal weekly so there will be more to come!

2. Prooda

Prooda New Member

Local Time:
    An unfortunate event occurred yesterday. I woke up this morning and realized that my Azoo Skimmer had stopped working and the tank was not able to degassed properly overnight. Turned on the light to make sure that everyone was okay, but only to find out that both of my Bamboo shrimps and one Amano shrimp have passed away. Learning from my mistake, I looked for another skimmer and I came across the Eheim Skim 350. I've read reviews that stated that shrimps could be caught in the skimmer due to its high flow and ability to skim the surface very well. However, I've also seen how people modify it to where it would still function as it should without having shrimps getting caught in it. After some readings, I went to my LFS to pick up the new skimmer. Set it up, works well, modified it, works okay but not as great as it should. But, its nice to know that my shrimp won't be caught it in. IMG_20200615_134650.jpg

3. Prooda

Prooda New Member

Local Time:
    Things have gotten out of control lately. I did a Nitrite and Nitrate test on Wednesday (06/17/20) and discovered that my Nitrite is at 2.0 ppm and my Nitrate is at 80 ppm. After finding out, I moved all my blue dreams into my nano tank since I can still detect Nitrite. I guess the beneficial bacteria have died in the filter. No big deal. However, I started getting a lot of GDA this week so I decided to tweak my lighting a bit to see if that helps. Lowered the light level down by 10% and reduced the lighting period to 7 hours instead of 8 hours. Hopefully, this will do the trick. I will also be leaving the GDA alone for 3 weeks and then do a big water change/cleaning.

Now onto tackling the Nitrate issue. I'm guessing that the plants have not completely settled in yet so only a little bit of Nitrate is being used. So, I decided to add some floating plants to help with the Nitrate for the time being.

Learned a lot this week, hopefully these tweaks will help the tank. Still love looking at it though haha.

Day 14: The beginning of an algae farm (hopefully not :D)
    Day 14.jpg

4. Prooda

Prooda New Member

Local Time:
    The tank finally finished cycling this week so I was able to add back the Blue Dreams and Amanos. Good news and bad news this week. GDA have finally slowed down with the new lighting schedule. However, due to the lack of lighting, after trimming back the rotala pink (left top corner), probably half of the pink rotalas melted away. Right now, there are a lot of debris and stringy algae. Hopefully by adding the Blue Dreams and Amanos back, they'll be able to take care of that. Also! I got new inhabitants for the tank! 5 Ember Tetras and 5 Corydoras Pygmaeus. So far, I'm happy with the tank. I might buy new plants to replace the top right corner. But we'll see if the rotala can pull through. Im also not dosing right now since the substrate is still leeching out nutrients. I'll start dosing in 2 weeks, hopefully.

Day 14: Rotala, please pull through
    Day 21.jpg

Tags: