This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Unknown Hygro* Species, Deficiency?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by SpiritualEngr, Sep 11, 2018.

1. SpiritualEngr

SpiritualEngr New Member

Local Time:
    8:28 PM
    I'm a few weeks in to this new aquarium, 20 gallon long. Everything seems to be growing well. This plant was only labeled as "hygrophilla species" at my LFS. I noticed this morning that these leaves were looking a little strange.

I have been dosing pps-pro, inject CO2, and did a 5 gallon water change on Sunday. I tested the hardness this morning.

KH ~ 5, GH ~ 7, pH = 7.0

This tank is home to a dozen or so Blue Dream Neocaridina, 6 otocinclus, and a few snails that came in on the plants.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

2. SpiritualEngr

SpiritualEngr New Member

Local Time:
    Trying to post photo.[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

3. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:28 AM
    Hi welcome to the forum.

That is some variety of Hygrophilla corymbosa.

Are the plants new? Some new plants have been grown out of the water and will allow older leaves to die when they are submerged. That is somewhat expected.

If that is not the case, it looks like a nitrogen deficiency in old leaves, possibly also K and PO4. If you do PPS pro I suggest increasing your macronutrients dosing at least in the beginning or after a large waterchange. After a while the nutrients will accumulate at some level.

SpiritualEngr and burr740 like this.
  4. SpiritualEngr

SpiritualEngr New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the reply. They were bunched up and floating in the store tank. They have been in my tank for 2 weeks. I picked them a part and only kept the tops. I push the first full set of leaves/node into the sand and left the top set/node just above the sand. So the first rosette of leaves are old growth, the more upright looking are all new growth.

I forgot to mention that my lighting is an older 65w PC. My thinking was the bulb is older and probably not as strong as it once was so I wasn't really considering it "high light".

I noticed what may have been some BGA on my driftwood last night. I pulled it off and sucked it out with a turkey baster. Checked my NO3 and it was ~ 10 ppm, probably a little under. Looking back at recommended dosing I think I have been under dosing for my lighting. I have been doing 25-30% water changes weekly. So I doubled up my dosing this morning and will continue moving forward.

One other thing I came across was calcium deficiency. I figured with my hardness this wouldn't be the case but it seems to be the first thing brought up with misshaped/deformed leaves. Any suggestions regarding that?

Allwissend likes this.
  5. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    3:28 AM
    You are right, with a GH of 7 it is highly unlikely that there is low Ca in the water and there are many nutrients involved in correct leaf formation and signaling. That being said H. corymbosa is a very robust plant that likes nutrient rich waters and/or substrates. I think increasing the dosage for now is a good starting point. Let us know how it goes.

SpiritualEngr likes this.