This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Unique, Semi High-tech 150g Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by geektom, Apr 23, 2018.

1. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:30 AM
    Hey all!

For those who don't know me, I have a 150g sitting in my garage that I pretty much think about all day, every day.

It is an awesomely different footprint at 60" wide x 18" tall x a glorious 30" deep (front to back). It is Euro-braced and pretty much completely open on top (open space is 54' x 24").

One of the biggest barriers to me pulling the trigger and setting it up is the cost and set-up of effective lighting. My original thought was to have the whole tank lit to a high enough level that I could run it at almost a Dutch level of plants, with just a few pieces of wood and rocks.

I have now moved away from that, landing somewhere in the middle: I want to have great plant growth in a lot of the tank, but not necessarily all of it, reducing the cost and workload, and making it more fish-focused (large school of Bolivian Rams)

I am thinking of doing two "islands" of dense planting, with the remaining areas open or only lightly planted, and a non-lighted open area in the middle, with a path/section of lighter substrate.

Anyone here have experience with a set up like this? Any major adjustments you needed to make to avoid algae in the other parts of the tank? Did you dose fertilizers any differently? Have any examples of good ones you have seen?

Any and all feedback is welcome!

Greggz likes this.
  2. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sounds like a slow burn naturescape https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/na-65cm-slow-burner.37285/
    You can bubble enough CO2 in to turn the drop checker green (as opposed to lime green), this should give you enough carbon to keep "easy" - "medium" plants happy http://tropica.com/en/plants/, and relatively low maintenance - less trimming and water changes. I'd keep the lighting intensity low to moderate, with a photoperiod initially starting at 6hrs and gradually building to 8hrs after the tank stabilises.
    As for fertz, I'd start with normal EI and then use careful observation to tailor it to suit plant growth.

Greggz and geektom like this.
  3. geektom

geektom Junior Poster

Local Time:
  4. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Looks fine, the most important factor is that you like the colour rendition and the way it shows off your plants and the colours of your critters.

geektom likes this.