This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

UNIDENTIFIED MACROALGAE!?! Please help!

Discussion in 'Algae Control' started by whitecloud, Aug 20, 2017.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud New Member

Local Time:
    7:16 PM
    Greetings all! I humbly admit I've had my run in with the extended algae family, but this one has me beat. At first I thought it was staghorn, but it's branching habit appears different and I have never heard of staghorn having black spores/seed pods....Which makes me think it is not even an algae at all. It grows prolifically in my high tech and my low tech. It DOES NOT respond to localized excel, blackouts or erythromycin. It does not turn red in alchohol. It seems to propagate via fragmentation and these black seedpods. It grows mostly wrapped around plants close to the light source, but hangs on even if far from the light.

IMG_0170.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

snarkingturtle likes this.
  2. snarkingturtle

Local Time:
    That's some sort of Utricularia (bladderwort). It's a vascular plant not an algae. They are predatory; the "seed pods" are actually hair-trigger bladders that suck in Copepoda and other small prey.

whitecloud and DutchMuch like this.
  3. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ooooh carnivorous planted tank. :p Do you have any small fish in your tank? I had a lot of copepods in my tank before I introduced some small strawberry rasboras, maybe you could introduce a few small fish and they could outcompete the bladderworts for food?

whitecloud likes this.
  4. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:16 AM
    Gourami's (IMO poweder blue are best) eat everything in the tank.
    Ya got your Shrimp, Ya got yer Snails, ya got yer algae, ya got yer small fish gumbo, ya got yer.... etc. Forest gump reference if no one got that..

whitecloud likes this.
  5. whitecloud

whitecloud New Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for the swift reply. Oh my, it seems like tweezers and patience are the standard solution. Has anyone had experience with salt? I found a forum on AGA that suggest Seachem's livebearer salt at half strength. It doesn't specify much else as far as how often and how long. I know that at least terrestrial carnivorous plants hate salt...

6. whitecloud

whitecloud New Member

Local Time:
    Kudos to your strawberries! I have neons in the tank, I am sure they are far to large to go after copepods. I like your angle though...Maybe I need another aquatic carnivorous plant that can outcompete the UB. Maybe I ought to tear of the HC carpet and get a UG carpet going. Yikes....

7. snarkingturtle

Local Time:
    No idea. I have some in my tank that I got accidentally. I was leaving it to see if it would do something interesting. The local species of bladderworts seem to all(?) have nice yellow flowers:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

It didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be able to get rid of it easily if I wanted :eek:

By the way, here is a cool youtube video explaining how the bladders work:

No explanation, but nicer images:

8. whitecloud

whitecloud New Member

Local Time:
    Your heart was in the right place! I am curious if anyone has experiencing using the more desirable Utricularia Graminifolia to outcompete U. Gibba....Along with picking it out, of course.

9. whitecloud

whitecloud New Member

Local Time:
    How do we get Tom to chime in? I wish I could fine more on using Seachem's Livebearer Salt/Brackish Salt to treat it. I'm not sure my other plants would be thrilled about it. Definitely not my tetras....

10. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:16 AM
    How to get tom to chime in:
    Feast your eyes!!!!
    @Tom Barr
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

whitecloud likes this.
Tags: