unidentified algae/growth

rlillynj

Junior Poster
Oct 12, 2007
my tank has been established for about 9 months now. everything is growing great. about a month ago i started seeing what i think is some type of algae growing on my onion plants leaves. it looks gray in color and like little tiny tree branches. it is very tough and well attached to the leaves. i can pull them off the leaves without causing any damage. however, they seem to be spreading rapidly now. mostly on the onion plant and very little on any other plants. does this sound like anything anyone has encountered and if so, is there a fix other than manual removal.

rlillynj

Junior Poster
Oct 12, 2007
thanks for the reply. without a doubt it looks like the photos in your staghorn profile. i have been having problems with my co2 reactor. it seems to get overloaded with co2 bubbles then i have to shut it off for a second then restart it. my canister filter is also clogged and unfortunately the pads for the ehiem could not be found at any local stores so i had to order them. big mistake not having spairs on hand. so i'm dealing with an annoying co2 reactor and a lack of water flow. i just removed the onion plant because it was completely infested. it was a sad move considering its health was awesome.

thanks again,
Ryan

Dusko

Prolific Poster
Apr 20, 2006
Sweden
I personally don't like canister filters, tend to clog easily, especially because folk thinks they should be cleaned once every 3-6 month :rolleyes:

One should rinse mechanical filters every week or two for best results, or in advanced systems use a sump and don't clean it so often, except the filter floss.

BTW, there is no reason for changing you filter pads, just rinse them often.
And have an extra internal filter for circulation. Run with some Zeolite for a while and Active Carbon + water changes, to remove excess Ammonia and organics.
But water changes are the cheapest and most effective solution.

Nutrient dosing is very important, but over all hygiene is also.

Good tank maintenance (pruning, filter rinsing, water change, etc) and good diet (all nutrients) will create a balanced free of algae system.

Regards, Dusko.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Dusko, a simple idea might sway you to canisters:
Add a sponge pre filter on the intake, clean this weekly= no need to clean the main canister that much.

I use a bag style micron filter for sumps, they clean very well.
Off topic, but a simple solution.

Regards,
Tom Barr

fjf888

Guru Class Expert
Oct 29, 2007
Northern Virginia
If you are having problems with your reactor you should look in the Articles forum and pull up the specs for the Dual Venturi CO2 reactor. Lack of CO2 is the most likely cause of your algae. I too was having problems with my CO2 reactor. I built one to the exact specs in this article and it made a world of difference for my tank and plants.

Fred

Dusko

Prolific Poster
Apr 20, 2006
Sweden
I know what you mean Tom.

But doesn't bacterial slime develop in the canister media after some time clogging it, and slowing down the circulation? My assumption only, never tried them my self.

I love the over flow idea with a sump better, perfect really, this also adds more O2 and possible atmospheric CO2 (not sure).

Will think on this one.

Regards, Dusko.