Unexplained death of Amano Shrimps

Gautam

Prolific Poster
May 19, 2008
Calcutta, India
I recently released some Amano Shrimps in 2 of my Planted Tanks.

For the initial 2 days they were perfectly happy but then they have started to die. The facts which are very perplexing are as follows:

1> The Shrimps didnot get affected all at once. One by one they are getting affected and then dying

2> Before dying the shrimps are darting around like mad as if something has bitten them and their body starts turing white gradually

3> Both the tanks have Cherry Shrimps and they are perfectly fine. The Cardinal Tetras and Ottos are doing fine too

4> I suspected bad water contamination but My API Test Kits are showing 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and very low (5 ppm) Nitrates. The other fact is that both tanks can't get contaminated in the same fashion at the same time

5> I am suspecting some pathogens but can't figure out which and if there are pathogens then why are the other aquarium inhabitants not getting affected? Also chances of both the tanks getting infected at the same time is not very high

6> If water quality or infection is a problem then most of the aquarium inhabitants should have got infected at the same time. Why only the Amano Shrimps and why one by one?

Both the tanls have pH as 7 and KH as 5 Degrees. Temparature Range (Centigrade) 25 - 28. Tanks are kept in AC.

I would remain grateful if you can help me urgently. I have already lost around 40 Shrimps and I feel very bad when I see a dying fish/ invert with me not being able to take care of it's pain.

Regards,

Gautam

tedr108

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 21, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
What is your water temp there in India? All of the other critters mentioned can handle very warm water. I'm not so sure about Amanos ... most people rate them at 78°F optimal temp. I usually have mine between 77°F and 82°F.

Gautam

Prolific Poster
May 19, 2008
Calcutta, India
Hi Ted

Tank water temparature is varying between 77 and 83 degree F. Calcutta is now very hot. I keep the room AC running the entire day. So when I switch off the AC at night (to save some power :) ) the water temparature is 77. Morning when I switch on again the water temparature reaches 83 degrees.

But then if temparature is causing the problem then all Shrimps or at least majority of them should have got affected. Why are they dying one by one? I think I could explain my dilemna

Regards,

Gautam

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
The behavior seems more CO2 related to me.
Most of the others are a bit more tolerant.

Is the CO2 too high, not enough surface current etc(one of the two?)?

Regards,
Tom Barr

Gautam

Prolific Poster
May 19, 2008
Calcutta, India
Thanks for the lead Tom.

I have put in a Drop Checker and monitoring the CO2 levels as that will in turn be related to pH swings.

Yes the tank was bit too overgrown and surface flow had reduced. I gave it a trim last Saturday.

Unfortunately all my Shrimps died before I could take these actions. I will try to get some more and then check out again

But the following question still remain:

1> Why are the Cherry Shrimps not getting affected? Are they more resistant towards CO2 fluctuations and related pH swings?

2> Why are the Amanos getting affected one by one and not all at once?

3> With close inspection I found some Hydras on the tank walls. Hydras can sting. Can that be the problem? But then why are others not getting affected

I will look forward to your reply Tom.

Thanks as always

Gautam

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Assuming the hydras are stinging them to death, maybe the one-by-one behavior is due to a shrimp heirarchy. i.e. The biggest Amano gets the "best" area, which happens to have the hydras. When that one is stung and dies, the next biggest shrimp then takes over the newly vacated spot/area and is stung, and so on.

No idea if this is the case, but it could at least explain the one by one death pattern. Perhaps there's some other predation going on?

-
S

jonny_ftm

Guru Class Expert
Mar 5, 2009
Hi,

I recently opened a topic, exactly same as your situation: C. Japonica dying 48h after they were introduced. In my case, I also lost my Neritina and many of my trumpet snails. Other snails and red cherries were doing fine.

As Tom told you, it was a CO2 issue in my case. My PH meter electrode revealed to be out of use and the drop checker was yellow. Few days before I introduced them, I also changed my CO2 diffuser position and stopped my Nanostream pump

Those shrimps seem really CO2 sensitive.

blodhi74

Junior Poster
Oct 25, 2008
I have found that long acclimation period worked great for me.
I have 5 in a 30gl tank are thriving for the last 8 months.

denialmark

Junior Poster
Mar 31, 2010
I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Conditioner if I am treating tap water. It is very concentrated, and does what 99.9% of people who treat tap water want to do: detoxify chlorine and heavy metals. Not too many water conditioners do much more than that...despite the claims of ammonia removal, organics removal, etc. THe claims regarding chloramine removal are poorly substantiated for most water conditioners.