Unable to perform water changes during vacation - EI dosing

sL3xx

Junior Poster
Jul 18, 2015
I have a 12 gallon long with CO2 and EI dosing. I am going away on vacation for 10 days soon (Wed - The following Sat) and was interested in the best way to keep my tank in order. I have someone who can handle my dosing during that time but I don't want her doing a water change.

I was thinking I would do a 50% water change + macro dosing the day that I leave (Wed), have her dose the tank normally until the following Wed, and then stop dosing macros/micros altogether (besides some iron on Day 8 since it doesnt last in the water column nearly as long). I come back that saturday, so it would only be days without additonal ferts. I would do a water change the day I got back. I would leave CO2 and photoperiod untouched from what it is now.

Would that work well?

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
You should do a water change right when you get home at midnight

OR you could switch to PPS fert method while you are away and not worry about it

OR you could not worry about it and still have a tank full of overgrown plants when you get back.

Either way, forget about it and enjoy your time away.

sL3xx

Junior Poster
Jul 18, 2015
That's what I'll do. But does my dosing sound fine? I didn't want to overdose once I got past the point I would change the water. Therefore 7 days of EI then stop dosing. I'll W/C when I get back.

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
Ask your sitter to do EI just M-F. Your gonna be trimming a lot when you get home.

I was joking about rushing home to do a WC.