This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

UDGags-125g Aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by UDGags, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    10:41 PM
    I gotta must say that i like where you went with plant choice compared to what you were trying before, however i do not like where you went with plant density. You say your background lights are not on in the cell phone pics? In seeing the light penetration at the soil, there is a lot of light for these type lower light plants. My recommendation at this time is to keep photoperiod at 4 hrs if you cannot up your density

2. UDGags

UDGags Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:41 AM
    Well the plants need to grow out to increase the density. I spent what money (~$300 in plants but did not pay that) I could and just have to be patient now. All the wood has Fissiden geppi (white spots from the glue), anubias on the wood, MC as the carpet, about 9 crypts and 6 lobelias 'dwarf' scattered throughout.

The overhead light is set at 70 micromols at the substrate. Photoperiod is 8hrs, CO2 is probably 100+ ppm during the photoperiod, EI dosing. I don't have any livestock so blasting the tank with CO2 right now.

3. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    I feel obligated to send you more monte carlo sir.

Please do keep updated frequently, I'm very interested to see how 70 micrmols and 100 + ppm co2 will do. Thanks.

4. fablau

fablau rotalabutterfly.com
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Wow, beautiful, can't wait to see it planted!

5. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Oh, a question: it looks like circulation is going to be left to right, is that correct? Do you have your filter intake on the right side of the tank?

6. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The overflow is on the left side. The returns are the two pipes you see pointing to the right. I also have a MP40 on the right not installed (hanging behind glass). I plan to put it in once the plants root a bit..right now I think it would just suck up the plants and cause me headaches.

7. fablau

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Ok, I see... so the water circulate left to right, and then right to left toward the overflow? Does it get back to the left on the front glass?

8. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    ~2 weeks in..everything is going well so far. A bit of hair algae but not too much.

[​IMG]

9. jbs47

jbs47 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Great wood...can't wait to watch tank mature.

10. kb27973

kb27973 Guest

Local Time:
    12:41 AM
    Love it. That a vortech pump? When I did reefing it was vortech or tunze. Have you thought about a spraybar? May just be me but I find the outlets distracting.

Ken

11. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Yes, it's an MP40. When I tore the tank down this past winter/spring I made it so I could remove the outlets (vortech could always be taken out) and the overflow for contest worthy pictures. For these journal type updates I'm not going to bother with doing all of that. These are more updates on the plant growth. I also have lights for the background that aren't on....should make it white and not the dirty color it is now.

Personally, when I look at other journals I learn more from these types of pictures then the aquascaping contest type. You can see how my water flow is, what equipment is being used, how far my lights are away, etc. I'm not hiding or faking anything in these 'raw' shots. My journal over on TPT has more posts from the start of the tank and I have gotten a lot of comments over the years about showing the specifics of the overflow, sump, etc. The other type of picture I hope to do once it fills in more is a plant diagram one. People loved my first one where I actually had plant names labeled...so helpful for beginners.

12. kb27973

kb27973 Guest

Local Time:
    Looks like you used Aquasoil powder in some areas? I was afraid to try it after reading a post where a guy said he would never use it again as it was a mess. I'm not finding that at all. I have probably 1"/sec of flow at the substrate and the powder stays put. I like the look a lot better than straight aquasoil.

13. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    It's Amazonia (10-9L bags) about 4 years old. The surface has/had a the broken down AS since it's a bit old. The good stuff is below it. I guess I get the best of both worlds right now. It's just a very light covering of fine powder and only in the lower parts. The high parts are all 'good' AS shape.

I don't mind the powder too much. The only thing that bugs me is it gets on my rocks and I have to brush them off. I figure once the MC covers the substrate I won't have that issue though.

14. kb27973

kb27973 Guest

Local Time:
    Wow that's great to know that AS lasts that long. Not looking forward to replacing a substrate. Although my tank is only a year old so I have some time..

15. UDGags

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think Tom had the same AS in his 180 for a lot longer too.