This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Two tanks, one cylinder

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by argnom, May 25, 2009.

1. argnom

argnom Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    1:50 PM
    Hey guys! Great forum, a lot of info in here.

I have a question. Probably a simple one but I would rather have your opinion before I go out and order the parts.

I purchased a pressurized CO2 kit a couple of weeks ago for my 28gals tank. I have to say I am absolutely amazed at the results. BBA is pretty much all gone after using it for 3 weeks and the "pearling"... Wow! It looks like a glass of Champagne in there! The relusts are so good that I would like to use the CO2 cylinder on two tanks if it is possible (should be... I think...).

The current setup I have is as follows:

CO2 cylinder --> Regulator (output @2psi) --> selenoid valve --> needle valve --> CO2 line --> step diffuser.

All the components are screwed into each onther. There is no CO2 line in between. Except between the needle valve and the diffuser of course.

I tried to simply put a "T" splitter after the needle valve, but since the pressure is so low after the needle valve, the CO2 simply flows out of the line that gives the less resistance (shallow tank) and noting exists out of the deeper tank. Logical after all...

Here's the setup that I think would work.

CO2 cylinder --> regulator --> 2 output manifold --> selenoid valves (on both outputs) --> needle valves (on both outputs) --> CO2 line --> diffusers in both tanks

Would this setup work or will the gas simply flow mostly (if not all) out of the CO2 line that creates the less resistance?

Also, since one of the tanks has no glass canopy, there is some evaporation that I top off every 2-4 days. Will the reduction in water level mess up the settings on the needle valves? Less water = less resistance right?

Perhaps I'm trying to complicate things more than they have to be... I work in IT after all. Why make something simple when you can make it complicated. :p

Some suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The proposed idea will work fine. You just want to make sure you keep an eye on the tank. Any adjustments to the regulator pressures will now affect two tanks. The pressures you're likely to use will not be overly affected by water levels.

-
    S

3. argnom

argnom Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Thank!

Thanks for the help shoggoth43

4. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'm in IT as well. It's all too easy to "outclever" yourself.

-
    S

5. argnom

argnom Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Indeed shoggoth43. Ah, the joys of technology! :D

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

20 years now in IT and I live by the KISS method...........I leave it to the users to ask for complex stuff lol

yes, the mainfold works well for 2 or more tank with c02.......

Let us know how it works.......

7. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Hey I'm in IT too (I'm a Solutions Architect)!!

I'm seeing a bit of a pattern here.....!

Scott.

8. argnom

argnom Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Indeed, there seems to be a pattern here. :)

Lets compare IT work with aquarium keeping.

IT: Spending countless hours trying to figure out what went wrong with a box
    Aquarist: Spending countless hours trying to figure out what went wrong with the box
    IT: Spending hours trying to find the best possible settings for a box
    Aquarist: Spending hours trying to find the best possible settings for a box
    IT: Spending hours trying to explain how to use a system to a new employee
    Aquarist: Spending hours trying to explain how to use a system to a new aquarist
    IT: Spending tons of money on a box to get the best possible display quality
    Aquarist: Spending tons of money on a box to get the best possible display quality
    IT: Spending coutless hours in forums to get answers to your questions
    Aquarist: Spending countless hours in forums to get answers to your questions

Sounds pretty much the same to me. :D

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go with the CO2 as soon as I setup the whole thing. It could take a couple of weeks.